PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a floor bed instead of a crib?

Crisyn
06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
We are planning on following Montessori philosophies with the twins when they are born in August. However, I am getting a lot of resistance from family and friends on the idea of using floor beds instead of cribs.
The idea, as I understand it, is that the baby (or babies!) has the freedom to see their environment, and once they can crawl, to explore it without being confined. I have read comparisons to how we wouldn't keep a kitten/puppy confined to a "cage", and let them explore at their own free will. Obviously, the environment would be controlled and made safe for the babies - ie. safety gate, etc.
My MIL especially does not seem to understand the concept and is pushing hard for cribs.
I like the idea, but these are my first children, so I really have no experience with cribs to compare the idea to. Also, I am concerned about having to lean over to pick up the babies, if I have to have a C-section.
My question is does anyone have any experience with floor beds and any advice one way or the other?
Thanks.

terrapin_mon
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
I personally have no experience with floor beds and am using a crib for my DD but I thought I would post that I do know people who did do this and very successfully. However, they co-slept for the initial few months so any inconveniences of having had a C-sec ((and ouch is it bad, I had one a few months back!:( )) did not really matter. So essentially it was a compromise for the initial few months when the baby does not move and cannot really see much of their extended environment anyway. A similar compromise could be a bassinet or a co-sleeper for the first three months if you are against the notion of a family bed? And then graduate to a floor bed?

My friends thought it worked well, but my concerns would be more trying to change the sheets, keeping it clean and keeping any stray insects at bay. I know I can be anal sometimes! Otherwise, it seems the babies did love it a lot.

HTH,
Ritu

streuselmama
06-21-2005, 08:37 PM
For us, a crib ended up being a total waste of money. We bought a crib for DD before she was born, but hardly used it. We have co-slept in a family bed on the floor instead. I slept better, and my DD (and now DS) have been more peaceful too. We follow an attachment parenting philosophy, and Dr. Sears has written quite a bit on the family bed. Perhaps he would have something to put your MIL at ease?
HTH

tiapam
06-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree. A co-sleeper or bassinet would be the way to go, if you really want to do the floor bed thing.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

Melanie
06-24-2005, 12:08 AM
We co-slept, then eventually around 18 months we put Ds' crib mattress on his floor. I am not up on Montessori, but I'm guessing this is similiar, right? It had a bed rail...we have a baby monitor, so we felt it safe. He easily transitioned into his own bed on the floor, then up on a frame. Ironically, though, he rarely if ever will get out an "explore" his environment. He just calls for us to come in when he's ready to get up. He is perfectly able to get out of bed and does it other times, but when it comes to awaking...never.

I really like not having to ever have to wean him of a crib. It's worked otu well for us, but again, we co-slept for the first 18 months. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it if he had been in a different room at a young crawling age.

ETA: Now is a good time to practice the nod & smile technique with your relatives though. ;) "Thank you, we will consider that."