PDA

View Full Version : PJKids cribs and furnitures--formaldehyde??!!!

Amaranthine
06-30-2005, 02:52 PM
This is a great forum! I just found it recently after buying Baby Bargains, which a friend recommended to me. I'm expecting a baby in August. This is my first post here, so I hope I'm doing this all right. :-)

I didn't read the book until AFTER my husband and I bought a crib, dresser, and shelves for the top of the dresser last week. The crib, etc. were manufacturered by PJKids, and then I read the info in the book about the class action lawsuit due to alleged formaldehyde in the wood finish. Obviously that scares me! I've battled with allergies and chemical sensitivities for over a decade, so it's a big concern for me, as it would be for anyone.

I'm considering taking it all back to the store where we bought it, but first I wanted to get more facts about that lawsuit and info about those possible toxins in their furniture, to see how much of a real concern it is. Also, the book mentions their products being made of ash veneer, while what we bought says it's solid birch, if that makes any difference. I haven't found much online. Does anyone know any updates about that or know where I could get more info? Do any of you have PJKids furniture and have good or bad experiences with it?

Other concerns about returning the furniture (although minor compared to the health issue) are that the store where we purchased it is 3 hours away (I live in a rural area) and I really do like the designs.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks!

alkagift
07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know anything about the lawsuit, although it lookst to be ongoing. Formaldehyde is often used in the construction of particleboard or MDF. It's part of the glue that holds the stuff together. It does vaporize at room temperature, but normally at very low levels and shouldn't bother anyone. My husband is an environmental engineer and he tells me that formaldehyde is present everywhere, all the time, just at tiny levels. The amount emitted by furniture is also very low, normally. Some people are really sensitive to it, but most aren't.

This is from the consumer products safety commission:

You can avoid exposure to higher levels by:
1) Purchasing pressed wood products such as particleboard, MDF, or hardwood plywood for construction or remodeling of homes, or for do-it-yourself projects, that are labeled or stamped to be in conformance with American National Standards Institute (ANSI) criteria. Particleboard should be in conformance with ANSI A208.1-1993. For particleboard flooring, look for ANSI grades "PBU", "D2", or "D3" actually stamped on the panel. MDF should be in conformance with ANSI A208.2-1994; and hardwood plywood with ANSI/HPVA HP-1-1994. These standards all specify lower formaldehyde emission levels.

2)Purchasing furniture or cabinets that contain a high percentage of panel surface and edges that are laminated or coated. Unlaminated or uncoated (raw) panels of pressed wood products will generally emit more formaldehyde than those that are laminated or coated.

I can't tell you what to do, since I don't know what all the issues are. If all of the pieces you bought are solid wood (and most furniture isn't, it's solid pieces with pieces that are veneered over mdf/particleboard) then I wouldn't worry. If, however, you've got some particleboard in there, I would call the company and talk to them about it. Check the furniture for the ANSI numbers that they listed above. If you're sensitive and you're worried about your baby being sensitive as well, and there are no numbers on the furniture and CS isn't reassuring, I would take it back. No need worrying about it. I know it's frustrating, but that's what I would do.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Amaranthine
07-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the tips! That makes me feel much better. We haven't opened the boxes yet, but I'll check out the numbers.