PDA

View Full Version : Have Pack N Play - Do I need a Co-Sleeper?

cc8
07-01-2005, 12:17 PM
We received a slightly used Graco Pack N Play (looks brand new) recently and we have a nice crib on order as well. I was thinking that in the beginning, to make night feedings easier, I could have DD in a co-sleeping thing near my bed.

Question is:

Do I need to get a separate co-sleeper? If so, would it be something like Arm's Reach (I wouldn't feel comfortable using a SnugNest)?

OR Would you just use the PNP bassinet feature in the beginning then transition to the crib later?

I've heard that babies can sleep in the co-sleeper 4-5 months, which I think is longer than they can use the PNP bassinet - is that right?

JTsMom
07-01-2005, 03:31 PM
My new policy is When In Doubt, Wait. You never know what will work for your child, so try not to buy too much more than you really need in the begining. I planned on using our PNP bassinet for nights and our crib for naps during the day. DS refuses to sleep in either for more than 15 minutes!

If your DD doesn't like the PNP, you could always try a co-sleeper, but I don't think they are very different in terms of comfort. I'm not really sure about the weight limit on each product, but I think the Graco website, and the Arm's reach site both have them listed.

marvelous
07-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm not familiar with Arm's Reach, but I use the PNP with the bassinet feature next to our bed. Our bed sits kind of high, so I have to reach down a little bit to get my DD, but it doesn't bother me or her. I've never felt uncomfortable with it.

She's almost 3 mos and the PNP bassinet is large enough that she'll have plenty of room in it until 4 or 5 months. (We hope to transition to her crib by then.) It might take us a little long to put DD in her crib overnight (she takes naps in it) since our room is upstairs and hers is down but so far it's working.

My thought would be: why spend the extra money if you don't have to?
Now if it's a gift, that is a different story! :)
HTH!

Marvelyn

deannanb
07-06-2005, 05:51 AM
I like the wait and see idea! There are several things I wish I had waited on!

my DS wouldn't have anything to do with the PNP - for us I think a co sleeper would have been great. I ended up sleeping with DS on the couch most nights for the first 2 months until I had figured out what I was doing with BF and just trying to function.

DS is 8 months old and when he sleeps with me (naps and first nursing of the morning) - he likes to be right next to me. I just keep him in the middle of the bed, and as long as he sleeps he is fine.

nfowife
07-06-2005, 07:29 AM
I'd wait as well. I was planning to use the PNP bassinett for DD for the first few months, but there wasn't enough room next to our bed for it so I had it at the end of the bed. The first 3 nights home I drove myself crazy getting up to check on her every time she made a peep or to see if she was still breathing if I hadn't heard her make any noise in a few minutes. I was tired! So I sent DH out to get the mini co-sleeper and it has been so much better for both of us. We are getting ready to transition her to her crib for naps (like the pp we have our bedroom and her nursery on different floors) in a few weeks but she'll probably stay with us in the master bedroom until at least 5 months, maybe longer if I'm not ready and if she's waking more than once a night to eat (right now usually wakes once, sometimes twice depending on when I can get her down for the night). The co sleeper does have a higher weight limit than the pnp bassinett, which is only 15 pounds.