PDA

View Full Version : how long did your baby sleep in a bassinet?

lamamma
07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
i am expecting DS #2 in october and considering using a bassinet until #1 is ready to move from his crib to a bed. any thoughts on how many months the baby might comfortably sleep in a bassinet? thanks

amp
07-02-2005, 06:57 AM
A whopping one week! He hated the bassinet and kept waking himself up in there. Moving to the crib was a much better idea! Just something to consider, since you never know what babies will like and not like.

Karenn
07-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Both kids lasted in the Pack n Play bassinet for 3 months. However, we had a more traditional bassinet that only lasted a few weeks for DD. DS never really slept well in it because he was such a big baby.

mtracchia
07-02-2005, 09:22 AM
My DD is 7 weeks and still in her bassinet alough she will probably outgrow it soon. But she was/is a big baby. She was born 9 lbs9 oz and is now probably 13 lbs.

She doesn't like her crib and won't sleep in it. Every kid is different.

terrapin_mon
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
My DD was born tiny and is about 10lbs now and has slept in her bassinet (at my bedside) from the very beginning and still does so at 4 months. But she has started rolling over now so I think we will have to move her out to the crib very soon. She loves her crib as much having used it plenty in the day time so we hope the transition will be easy!! :)

So it depends on the individual baby, how big they are etc etc. I got great use out of my bassinet.

Ritu

deannanb
07-06-2005, 05:44 AM
DS didn't sleep well in the pnp bassinet - he did better with me on the couch or in his crib.

I would actually suggest thinking about moving your older child to a bed (not sure how old) before the baby comes - make a big deal out of it let #1 pick out new sheets or a new toy to sleep with - you can buy the guard rail to attach to the bed.

My friend had to buy a second crib for her children - they were 16 months apart - her dr said that if the older one was doing fine in a crib, leave him there.

kcgirl
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Our baby is 4 months old and is still sleeping in a bassinet. We need to buy a crib really soon, however!! I probably would have just bought a crib in the beginning and skipped the bassinet, but I found such a good deal on a brand new bassinet, that I couldn't pass it up!

jillc
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
My DD slept next to our bed in the bassinet sized pack-n-play until she was about 4.5 months & was getting too long to fit in there any longer. She was on the "tall" side for her age, too. Hope this helps.

Congrats!

mysweetboy
07-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Charlie slept in the bassinet until 3 months or so. By that time he wanted nothing to do w/his crib so we co-slept for awhile. We plan to move baby girl to the crib sooner and hope that it will be a much easier transition. :)

Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

BeachBum
07-10-2005, 09:05 AM
My baby isn't here yet, so I have no real experience but...

I bought the Simplicity 3 in 1 bassinet. It has a bit higher weight limit than many other bassinets I looked at. On side can come off to make a co-sleeper, and it can be used as a changer as well.
I got a basic tan color (target maybe?) for $70, but if you google it you will find many different fabrics (and prices) from a variety of retailers.
It was recommended to me by several moms on another board I frequent.
HTH

momofmany
07-10-2005, 10:46 PM
The name of the game w/ baby sleep is flexibility. I have two dd who are 22 months apart. They younger one slept in a traditional bassinet until about two months, when I moved her to the pnp. She slept here (and with me) until she was nine months old and her older sister had moved out of the crib. (I have four children and we had to do alot of bed rotations). It really depends on the child and they all go through phases. I'm glad I didn't get a second crib - and I didn't hurry the older child out of the crib either. Good luck to you!

Tondi G
07-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Just wanted to put in a plug here for the Arms Reach Co-sleeper! We had a borrowed bassinette and also a Pack n Play with our first.... he didn't like either! This time around we bought a mini arms reach cosleeper and LOVE it! At first we put DS in a moses basket inside the cosleeper..... just seemed more cozy (he was a little peanut)... then we started using the cosleeper alone. Now he is sleeping in his crib at 10 weeks and has been sleeping like a dream with his own room!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mason 7/8/01
Aidan 5/4/05

DDowning
07-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Carson - maybe 2 months. Chloe is just now turning 5 months and still going strong. One thing that helped is putting the quilt that came with the bedding on the mat and wrapping it under the bumpers. It made it softer without compromising safety. She's happy in there.

Marcy_O
07-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Glad you posted this, we were wondering the same thing. I'm glad to see that others still have bigger babies in bassinets. My DS is 7 weeks and at 11 lbs and is still in his bassinet by the bed. We were thinking of moving his PNP into the bedroom and taking the bassinet out, but I guess if he still fits in it and is comfortable (he loves it) than we're all good for now. I know mine has a weight limit though but I don't know what it is right off hand.

hellokitty
07-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Our baby was only in the bassinet for the first 5 wks of his life. He could have slept longer in it, but my DH was sick of the baby being in our room, so we moved the baby into his crib in his nursery.