PDA

View Full Version : Changing Table

love2stamp
07-07-2005, 07:53 AM
How long did you change your baby on the changing table? I'm thinking about purchasing a new changing table for my 5 months old and I was debating if it's worth buying a new one since he is rolling all over the place. Also, do you have any suggestion on using the changing table for something else after the kids are potty trained?

Thanks,
Karen

goodnightmoon
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm still using a loaned changing table with my 4 1/2 month old, but have to return it soon. Instead of buying another similar table, I'm going to buy a low dresser and put the changing pad on top, then use it as a child's dresser later.

Maybe use could use the traditional type changing table to hold baskets of toys later? Or as an organizer for sweaters, shoes, etc. in the closet?

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

kozachka
07-07-2005, 11:17 PM
It depends in your DC personality. DS would not lay still since he turned 9 months or so, we had to change him standing. We really tried to keep him down on the table but unless DH was entertaining DS while I was changing him there was no way to do it. Later even DH clowning did not help. Now I use our changing table for storing toys. No big loss here, the table was a hand-me-down from a neighbour with older kids.

And I am not alone in this predicament. My friend, who also has an active boy, has not used her changing table at all since her DS turned 8 months. Two other friends don't even own a changing table and don't miss it. One changes her DD on the changing pad placed on their Queen size bed (they have crib in their bedroom), the other puts her changing pad on the nursery floor.

So if I were I would stick with an old changing table you've got and see whether your DC turns out to be one of those who hate lying down for diaper changes.

vdrake71
07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
My DS is still using his changing table and he is 17 months, but I think he will be outgrowing it very shortly. His feet are starting to go through the rails. If you do look to purchase a changing table, you should look for a used one. I believe that my used changing table only cost $15.00.

momofmany
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I have never owned a changing table. With the first two children I had a low dresser with a pad on it that worked for about the first six months. After that I just gave up and have changed the younger two on my bed. I keep a basket of diapers, wipes, and a towel to put on the bed. This works the best for me - lots of room to roll if needed - and no extra furniture. For some the downside is that it could be hard on the back but I have not experienced this. Good luck!

ad_astra
07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
My DD is 20 months old and we still use our "changing table". It is the top of a wide dresser with one of those curved changing table pads on it. I am lucky that my DD is not a big wiggler when it comes to diaper changes. Because my hubby and I are tall, having a high table to do the changing has really helped save our backs. One warning if you go this route - ALWAYS have one hand on your little person because it is a long way to the floor if baby gets loose!