PDA

View Full Version : Changing table/dresser

imtiaz
07-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I want to try to use a regular dresser and attach a changing pad appartaus to it. Does such a thing exist? Something I can secure to the top and remove later?

s7714
07-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Most changing pads come with small straps on one side and screws that you use to secure the pad onto whatever you'll be using it on, so you could just use those. Just make sure the dresser you plan on using is low/high enough for you to change diapers without having to bend over while doing it--your back will thank you! ;)

HTH,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

angusmom
07-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Yes, this exists and lots of people do this (including me!). But you definitely need to look for and purchase a "Contoured Changing Pad" to accomplish this properly.

There are several brands that make a contoured pad DEX Products. They are easy to find if you search the Web or go to stores like Babies R Us.

The countoured pad has two raised sides (I've seen some with all four sides raised) and this is MUCH safer for your baby if you are attaching the pad to a dresser. The current safety standard for changing tables actually requires raised sides around all FOUR sides of the changing area. . . so at the very minimum you want to make sure you get a contoured with at least TWO raised sides so you can change baby safely.

Also make sure the contoured pad has a safety belt for Baby, and make sure it has at least two straps hanging off the back that attach to the back of your dresser (usually with velcro, screws, snaps, or nails). A non-skid bottom is helpful too. If the pad doesnt come with a non-skid bottom, you can always get some of that rubbery drawer/shelf liner stuff at wal-mart to put underneath it.

angusmom
07-14-2005, 09:43 AM
OOPS! IN ABOVE POST I MEANT TO SAY:

"There are several brands that make a contoured pad like DEX Products."

Left out a word by accident.

Lovingliv
07-14-2005, 08:38 PM
DD has a beautiful dresser that my IL's gave her....with changing pad on top. It is a contoured pad from BRU and is attached to the dresser. When I am done having kids we will remove it and have just the dresser.

imtiaz
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Thank you all - very helpful to know it's easy to do!

imtiaz
07-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Thank you all - very helpful to know it's easy to do!

HannaAddict
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
We did this and use the RumbleTuff changing pad. Bought it online (think babycenter.com) on sale. Great contoured changing pad, all four sides are raised and high enough to help keep baby stable.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

citymama
12-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Has anyone used a changing pad that secures to the dresser with velcro rather than screws? We are considering using the top of my dresser that is part of our bedroom furniture set since we are short on space and the baby will sleep in our room initially. But we don't want to damage the dresser permanently with screws since it is beautiful old hardwood.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions for a contoured changing pad that would affix to the dresser with velcro instead. I believe the Simmons brand sold at BRU attaches with screws. Not sure about Rumble Tuff or any other brand.

Thanks!

nfowife
12-28-2005, 07:22 PM
I have the simmons pad and I haven't attached it at all. I bought one of those rubber pads (like for under a carpet but smaller) and put it under and it stays put pretty well. I never leave DD on it without me standing in front of her but so far it's been fine. I think you could velcro it yourself using the industrial grade sticky velcro and it would be fine, too.