PDA

View Full Version : best way to buy a glider?

elizabethaw
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi folks!

I'm due with baby #2 in Nov/Dec, and I want to get a really comfy glider. We have a regular rocker in DS's room, but it wasn't that comfortable to nurse in--and I spent hours and hours in that rocker in the middle of the night!

I went to USA baby and sat in every glider they had. I only found one I particularly liked. I've got a bad neck, and I liked the high-back Dutailier (grand chair line) because it seemed to offer more support for my neck.

I wrote down the model number of the chair--of course it's super expensive--ouch!

Here's my question: are there websites that offer better deals than USA baby? Surely the chairs are darn heavy to ship! Can anyone suggest the cheapest source? I am also open to suggestions for other chairs--USA baby just didn't have any other ones with good neck support available to sit in!!

thanks a lot!
Elizabeth

vdrake71
07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
There are other websites, but I do not know of them off hand. I remember reading about them in the baby bargain book. You can also do a froogle search and check ebay.

I agree with you. I had to check many gliders before I found one that was comfortable and would fit my husband. Once I found out what I wanted, I was able to get it cheeper by buying online.

indigo
07-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Try keeping an eye on Craig's List, if you have that in your area. We bought two that way, for half the price of a new glider - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Usually the model number of the chair is on the underside of the seat (ask the seller to lift up the cushion). The model numbers tend to run in lines - like the 11800 series, 12400 series - so while it may be a slightly different number, if the first 3 digits are the same it's probably the same style that you're looking for. There's also eBay, for both new and used chairs. But then you will probably have to pay shipping.

indigo
DD 7/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
twelve months and counting!

indigo
07-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Try keeping an eye on Craig's List, if you have that in your area. We bought two that way, for half the price of a new glider - one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Usually the model number of the chair is on the underside of the seat (ask the seller to lift up the cushion). The model numbers tend to run in lines - like the 11800 series, 12400 series - so while it may be a slightly different number, if the first 3 digits are the same it's probably the same style that you're looking for. There's also eBay, for both new and used chairs. But then you will probably have to pay shipping.

indigo
DD 7/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
twelve months and counting!

elizabethaw
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks, we do have a Craig's list here, and DH is keeping an eye on it! You'd think baby stuff would show up there all the time!

elizabethaw
07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Doesn't anyone have a good Web site for buying Dutilier?

Thanks!
Elizabeth

shoppinggal
07-25-2005, 03:19 AM
The best way to find one is just to try them all. I'm still looking so I borrowed my sisters and I found it's too low to the floor so it hurts my knees. And make sure the cushions are not too thin - I sit with the boppy behind my back for additional support.

Ebay with local pick-up and your local craigslist are your best bets. Just don't buy one with dirty cushions - new ones can cost the price of a used set anyway so you're not saving anything. Just be patient - sometimes it takes a while.

Good luck.

foreright360
08-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Try http://www.rockingchairstore.com/. I got a great deal for $385 on a glider 3 years ago.

racerl1
08-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I also decided on a grand Dutailier and had a hard time finding one at a decent price. I emailed many of the websites that carry Dutailier, and some of them carried the model number I wanted, even though it was not listed on the website. I ordered the 911 120 and matching nursing ottoman from heritagerockers.com. It was a custom order, and I received my order in just over 1 month. I was very pleased with them, and I would order from them again. Michaelene was very friendly and very helpful.

futureterrier
08-28-2005, 09:56 AM
A couple of websites you might try:

www.babycatalog.com
www.specialtybaby.com (Albee Baby)

I know someone who got an awesome deal on a Dutailer from the first site. In just looking around on the second site, I personally saw some great deals, and they have free shipping.

Good luck!

Ashton