PDA

View Full Version : Crib storage drawers -- Keeping things dust-free

kusiakje
07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I was reading the Baby Bargains book and they say to "skip the extra expense of an under-crib drawer." While seeming to acknowledge that it may be enticing to those who need extra storage space (like we do), they note that the drawers do not have tops and thus can become dust traps. The authors, therefore, conclude that the drawers are worthless for storing baby's things.

For anyone who may be thinking that they really need that extra storage space, but were similarly concerned about the baby's things getting to be full of dust, (or for anyone who's struggled with the dust problems), I offer this simple and cheap solution: purchase underbed storages bags from the dollar store.

This is what I did years ago to keep my some of my own clothes, stored in similar under-bed drawers, from getting dusty. And this is also what I planned on doing to protect my baby's things from the dust.

Obviously, having to unzip a storage bag will make the drawer a little less convenient to use. But, I think it will still be a great place to store things that we won't need to use every day, like clothes that the baby hasn't yet grown into.

amp
07-28-2005, 01:17 PM
That is a good idea, but we use the bedding/blankets often enough that we've never found it to be a problem. I would have to agree with you that the drawer is useful, at least for us.

SarahK
07-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I agree with you that the drawer IS useful. We have never had a problem with dust in the drawer and we don't use any special bags or anything like that.

Kendra
08-01-2005, 01:54 PM
The drawer also doesn't seem to add to the cost - we've looked at with drawers and without, all in the same price range.

kusiakje
08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
That's an excellent point too. Although, I think that might depend upon the brand that you're looking at. I know a few months ago, when we were looking at cribs, the Forever Mine cribs without the storage drawers were significantly cheaper than the one style they had with a drawer. (My husband and I both liked the style with the drawer best, and found ourselves wondering why we have a knack for unknowingly picking the most expensive item in every catalog. :))

But when we were looking at other brands, we did notice that there were several styles where the drawer didn't seem to add much to the final cost. So, as with everything else, it seems you just have to get as much information as possible and then make an educated decision.

If anyone's curious, we broke the rules in BB by getting the Pali Julianna, which is a sleigh crib with the big wooden end posts and the storage drawer. We knew that we weren't being cost-effective, but we felt that sometimes paying a little more isn't necessarily a bad thing. Aesthetics can be important...especially for a convertible crib. The sleigh style is timeless and, we hope, will look as beautiful as the headboard for a full size bed as it does for a crib.

--Jessica (expecting 1st baby 9/17/05)