PDA

View Full Version : Crib Mattress Coil Question...

Melanie
08-03-2005, 12:15 AM
...okay in my other thread someone quoted the field's recommendations, I want to say it was 140/150, any more overkill.

What I am wondering is what exactly does having more coils do for the mattress? Does it make it softer? Stiffer? Somethinge else?

I'm trying to decide between two Sealy's that target carries. They both felt nice, but what do I know, it's not like I could lay on them. LOL. I think one had 150 and one had 204 coils...something like that.

amp
08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I think (and I'm not sure about this), but in larger, adult mattresses, which are obviously much better made, more luxurious, etc, more coils mean that when you lay on the mattress, there are individual coils that respond/move w/ your body, so more gives you more individualized support throughout the mattress. With a baby mattress, there's not a lot of mattress there, no padded outside (usually just inside and then the vinyl waterproof outside) and the kid doesn't weigh enough to warrant more and more coils. I don't know if there's any truth to this, but I think it makes sense when I look at the mattress we have. Ours is the Sealy Ultra Baby Soft (or some combo of those words) from BRU. I believe (if I recall correctly) that it had 160 coils and cost about $70. It is a fine mattress. Nothing too soft or too hard and we didn't pay a lot for extra coils and it hasn't made a difference. DS is perfectly comfortable on it and is a great sleeper!

Oh, and FWIW, DH did put the mattress on the floor and sat/laid on it just to see that it wasn't too firm, which he refused to buy from the start!

Melanie
08-03-2005, 10:40 AM
LOL. That's one of the ones I was thinking about...I think they just give them a different name at Target. It looked like both of BRU's models were the same as both of Target's.

Good to know it got the Dh test!