PDA

View Full Version : Foam or coil mattress?

melbb
08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I was planning to get a Colgate Classica foam mattress, particularly because of the light weight. The thing is, I would have to get the CA version of the Classica which is more money, and you are supposed to get new mattresses for each baby. I guess I was wondering if it was really worth it and if I should just get a coil mattress. What have been people's experiences. How do you/your babies like their mattresses?

amp
08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
I can't speak to the foam mattresses, because we never had one. We are prefectly pleased with our coil mattress from BRU. We are using it with baby #2 due this winter.

vdrake71
08-03-2005, 08:07 PM
So far I have bought a total of 4 (3 Kolcraft & 1 Colgate Classica) foam mattresses (mom, mother-in-law, and two for myself). I just purchased the colgate classica and put it in the crib. It is highly recommended and so far it seems like a great mattress (we have yet to use it). I like the foam mattress because it is light weight.

SarahK
08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
We have the Colgate Classica and have no complaints--it works just great for us (our daughter is 20 months old) and we plan to get a second one for baby #2.

sukale
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Since reading your posts and doing more research and going to the store and picking up the coil mattress with one hand and pretending its 3 am and i have to chance the soaking bedsheets!, i decided to look for foam.

Found one on ebay - new in wrapper, by Delta, its orthopedic, has Staph Gard, waterproof, 6 inches.
Seller asking for $45 and $10 shipping.
What do you think?

Good deal or buyer beware?

thanks,
Sue

HannaAddict
10-03-2005, 02:21 AM
I probably would not buy a baby mattress over eBay since I would want to see it IRL, but I would buy lots of other things over eBay. Go figure! How is the seller's rating? How is that brand of foam mattress rated?

If it were me, I would spring for the Classica, it is a great mattress or try and find a Kolcraft foam mattress at Target or see one in person. In the long run, this purchase is not that expensive considering how often it is used and the safety aspects that are so important. I would cut back somewhere else. But I would say good choice on foam versus coil, the foam is so nice and light but firm.

Kimberly

melbb
10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I ended up buying the Classica. I was worried because some people suggested that their babies didn't like it because of the firmness. But the majority like it well enough and I really wanted the light weight.