PDA

View Full Version : So I bought the chemical-infested crib mattress (do I cover it?)...

Melanie
08-07-2005, 10:18 PM
...that conforms to CA safety standards blah blah blah...

Thanks to all who suggested Target, it feels softer than the ancient one Ds used and was only $50. However, it still has the vinyl outer covering.

Can anyone tell me just why I would need a waterproof mattress pad over this? I don't even know why I *bought* one for Ds' crib, but now I have it. Do I need to use it? Will it keep baby from breathing in this new chemicals or are they no worse than the vinyl off-gassing?

I couldn't think of a good reason to put it on there, but I thought maybe someone else might know.

Khrys
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I used one just to make it a little bit softer.

Don't think you would have to though.

HTH,

~Khrys.

amp
08-09-2005, 01:46 PM
We also used the mattress pad just as another layer of slight but safe padding between the sheet and the mattress. It just seemed more comfy to me. I don't know if it matters that it's waterproof, although that's what we bought.

jackiemo
08-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I also bought a "chemical infested mattress" and then found out about this mattress cover they use in New Zealand, which is relatively inexpensive and supposedly protects from the effects of the chemicals. (www.preventcribdeath.com) I guess it can't hurt, right? But then I'm also confused about whether or not I need a waterproof pad and would putting a pad over the cover negate the effects of the cover at all? Ugh! Don't know why all these decisions seem so complicated and hard to make lately. Must be the pregnancy hormones and anticipation about new baby! Or maybe I'm spending too much time on the internet... If anyone has any advice/words of wisdom, I'd appreciate it!

tamar948
08-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I saw this website too and considered purchasing this cover (esp. after looking at the cost of organic mattresses etc)! It would be great if someone on the boards had used it/ knows more about this whole thing. It's good to know I'm not the only one potentially 'over-researching'
Did you wind up getting one?