PDA

View Full Version : We live in New England (Boston), what kind of humidifer?

jjrochester
08-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Dear all,

I've searched the archive and found some discussion on the humidifier. Still, I am still wondering whether to get a cool-mist or warm-mist humidifer for DS for this winter. Any good suggestions? Where can I get good deal?

Thanks in advance,

jjrochester

bethjb1
11-01-2006, 01:22 PM
"It’s really a matter of preference. The key difference is that warm mist humidifiers add warmth to cold, chilly rooms and allow for the use of inhalants. Cool mist humidifiers offer a cool, refreshing contrast from stuffy indoor air."

We have done a little research and are planning to buy one of the cool mist animal ones by Crane. They are very quiet, require no filter and have gotten good reviews. You can buy it at Bed Bath and Beyond, Target and many more places

citymama
11-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Our pediatrician's office recommended a cool-mist...you might want to check with your pedi. I got a basic Vicks cool-mist on Amazon.com for $21 - they had some kind of promotion last week.

becca13
11-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm in Portland, ME and have a warm mist and really dislike it. I don't think my locale has anything to do with this :) With the warm mist you need to add salt to make some sort of reaction happen; if your water has a high mineral content then the reaction happens even faster. Sometimes mine goes dry over night. Given the kind of heating I have, my ped felt that the humidifier was only necessary when DD was really sick. I still found that it almost made the room overly steamy.

That being said, I agree with the PPs about asking you ped. HTH,

Bec

orangefur
11-17-2006, 03:00 PM
We live in the Boston area as well and use cool-mist humidifiers. I did use a warm one once to put medication in when my DD was sick, and although it helped her tremendously, it made a huge mess on the walls. For run-of-the-mill colds and humidifying, I think cool mist is the way to go.

Tondi G
11-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I second teh recommendation for the Crane brand cool mist humidifier! If you want a vapor use one of those vicks plug ins!!!