PDA

View Full Version : Any Baby's Dream owners? wife and I trying to decide on crib without much success?

Mathew J
04-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Hello all,

Well the due date is still somewhat out there (end of september) however we are currently out there now trying to decide on what we will need and what to buy, primarily a crib as many sales people are telling us that delivery time is pretty long on most models...

With that said we have a notorious problem of never being able to come to a decision...we currently like the Baby's Dream Generation next and I like the Georgian, we are also Considering Sorelle and were consdiering legacy before boston baby tanked...

I was considering Ragazzi however my wife thought they were excessive in price especially compared to others, and having read the review on them in the Baby Bargains book, specifically their parallel to lexus with regards to status and pricing she now likes them even less and won't even entertain the idea...much like she won't consider a bugaboo stroller...

I also would like to stick with one of the brands which recieved at least an A- in the latest BB book which also rules out Ragazzi..

With that said I was wondering if anyone has the Baby's dream furniture?...her parents and I feel that we should look more at the drop rail models as they convert to the full beds however she is leaning more towards the drop side models (currently only two with the Sea one and the Generation next though we both don't like the Sea one)...

We also saw a nice drop side from Munire however don't know if that is being discontinued as it is no longer on their site? then again neither are the drop side Baby's dream models...

Any thoughts appreciated especially on the quality of Baby's dream and also on the drop gate vs the drop side...

We also were looking at the generation next baby changing table (think it is stupid that it is just a dresser flipped upside down however it works and she likes it alot) so anyone that has that would be good too ..a shame that is the only style they make in that...

any info appreciated, thanks

nfowife
04-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I have the generation next dropside crib and the double dresser (which I also use as a changing table). I am VERY happy with both pieces. They are sturdy and well-made. My orders came in within about 6-8 weeks, and I was quoted 12. Just want to add that for the first 4 months my daughter slept in the mini co-sleeper before we moved her to her crib, and we didn't have either the crib or dresser unti she was about 3 1/2 months old as we were moving before that and so just used the co-sleeper and stored her clothes in tubs. It wasn't ideal but it worked out just fine for us!

Mathew J
04-08-2006, 07:07 PM
thanks NFO,

Our main concerns are if the rails on the crib are too wide to support a mobile as I have read that due to the type of wood Baby's dream uses they must build their furniture bulkier, also which way we should go, dropside or folding gate...my wife being shorter and with shorter arms seems to find the drop side easier to deal with and we both like the look of the generation next dropside crib though I dont like those round decorative pieces which are tacked onto the top four posts and would prefer it plain, she doesn't care about small details like that...

However I like the fact that the drop gate feels more sturdy and converts to a full size bed which will save us from buying more furnature in the future...we have a spare double bed but would like to keep that as a guest bed...

luckily we have my wife's old furniture she grew up with (ethan allen heirloom) that we will use for the baby in conjunction with the crib and the changing table...the bad is that BD doesn't make anything that matches the color of the existing furniture which is why we were looking at other brands...

oh well thanks for the help, I might try to push for the georgian as I like that style but then again the fact that the gen next matches the changing table is a big bonus as I prefer things that match...

thanks again

nfowife
04-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Matthew,
I LOVE my crib. That said, I think that dropside vs. dropgate is practically the same amount of lowering- just a different mechanism. FWIW, I am 5'3" and I currently leave the side dropped all the time. I lowered the mattress and have no problem putting my baby down on the mattress at all. So I think go with the crib you like best to be honest. Once my daughter starts to climb I will have to raise it up but for now she just pulls up but no climbing yet so I just leave it down and she's perfectly safe!
I used the tiny love symphony in motion mobile and had no problems attaching it at all. I would recommend that over a mobile that matches your bedding as it is really great and babies love that thing. The ones that come with bedding are usually pretty boring and not very stimulating. I also have a FP aquarium and it's attached fine as well. I haven't noticed any difference in the crib slats at all. For me I don't need a crib that converts as I plan to use this stuff for 1 to 2 more kids and after that if it's still in good condition I will probably pass it on to a baby in the family or sell it.

Mathew J
04-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey NFO, thanks again for the reply...I checked out that symphony in motion thing and it looks cool, I will throw the idea by my wife but I am sure she will be game on that one..also thanks for the info on the crib, I think it will be the babys dream for us and probabily the gen next as it matches that changer....I think at most we will have two kids so if that is the case I don't know with re. this crib...we might just go with the drop side as she really isn't keen on the gate due to the width of the releases plus I will admit in the gen next I prefer the look of the drop side...thanks again now I have three things to buy if you include that aquarium....

Mammatobe
04-10-2006, 03:41 PM
we are going to order the babys dream georgian drop side crib this week- we love it. I felt it was better quality then some Pali cribs and Ragazzi's that we were looking at. The wood is so sturdy and the dropgate is very easy to lower and pull up. The wood is a bit thick, but mobiles fit just fine on this crib model- we tested it out in a store. If anyone else is purchasing or has purchased this crib, may I ask what you paid for it? I found it so far for 500.00 in California.

Chaunacey
04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
We purchased the Baby's Dream Kathyrn/Belle collection in Amber, with a drop-gate crib, a flip-over dresser/changing table, and a tall chest. We are very satisfied with the quality overall. It certainly compares to our own bedroom furntiture, if it isn't perhaps even better. This crib is also convertible and turns into a toddler and full size bed. It looks similar to the Generation Next IMO.

Our baby is still on the way, but so far I am very happy with the ability to leave the drop gate down and still have the side up. I am 5'5 and it is difficult for me to reach in the crib with the gate up. I imagine it will be left down until our little one is able to pull up.

We did not have a problem attaching a mobile (Cocalo) to our crib. We did, however, have to get the ties on our bumper pad extended in order to fit around the bigger sleigh style corners.