PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a changing pad?

clp
04-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Hello everyone,

We are expecting a boy in June and are finally getting the baby's room ready. Do I really need a changing pad? How long do you use it for?

Thanks for your help.

caroline

MarisaSF
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Congratulations!!

Do you mean that you are considering not getting a changing table?
The BB book, as I recall, did not recommend getting one. We got one because we needed inexpensive storage and changing area that didn't take up much floor space. According to the BB book, they are a waste of money because you don't use them for very long. You can use a dresser or the floor to change the baby.
We have a simple changing table and are still using it at 21 months.
1) we didn't own a dresser and buying one would have been more expensive than a changing table.
2) we don't have much floor space
3) I dislike bending down to change on the floor.

Note: My kid is an average-sized toddler.

tarabenet
04-28-2006, 10:02 PM
I really think the changing pad part is a good idea, whether you put it on a bassinet, a dresser, or use it on the bed. The sides help baby stay secure, plus it is nice and soft. More than anything though, you will be so grateful for it the first time baby wets or poops in the middle of diaper change. Yes, it does happen, and more frequently than you'd think! But a changing pad with an absorbent cover will contain the mess, instead of letting go all over the bed, floor, or whatever. And you'll want at least 2 but probably 3 or 4 covers for it, becauses changes (and changing accidents) happen during laundry time, too.

almostamom
04-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree. You don't need a changing table, but a changing pad is quite convenient. My DS is almost 18 mos. old. I see us using it until he's potty trained. BTW, welcome to the boards! :)

~Linda~
http://lilypie.com/pic/060427/fDdc.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/qW3mm7.png

clp
04-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank you for your advices. Yeah, we do have a regular dresser and it has a nice top. So based on your suggestions, I think we will get a changing pad for it. again, thanks.

clp

jhrabosk
04-29-2006, 08:12 AM
To add onto this...

When we're at the IL's house visiting, they have an apartment over their garage that we stay in. We put a towel on the kitchen counter for changing and it's not NEARLY as nice or convenient as our changing pad at home. Ryan rolls around all over the place.

I think it's totally worth the small expense.

nfowife
04-29-2006, 09:38 AM
I agree with the pp's. We have a changing pad on top of DD's double dresser and it works great. In fact, I do almost 100% of her changing on it. I put a nonslip pad underneath it and it works great!

cynsteele
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
We have a dresser that is the "combo" style - it has a raised part on the right, which has a drawer & cabinet underneath. Anyhow, the non-raised part fits the changing pad and I cannot imagine not having it.

I have 2 covers, but always have a burp cloth or lap pad or whatever it's called overtop so I don't have to wash the pad so frequently, I can just throw that cloth in the laundry.

She LOVES her changing table, giggles and coos on it. She gets happy on it if she's upset. She also has peed during changes and I would hesitate to change her on our bed for that reason. And if she has a really crazy poopy diaper, she tends to wiggle around so much that poop ends up getting everywhere sometimes, despite our best efforts! And she had a period of time with really liquidy poops, definitely needed to change the cloths & covers a bit!

Cynthia
Sabrina 2-8-06

KBecks
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes. Get a changing pad. You might not want a fancy cover though, as you can just wipe off the vinyl. Or, I've used a cloth diaper to protect the pad from spills, etc. (I have 2 covers and pretty much only use one -- leaving the pad bare when I'm doing laundry).

DS is 18 mos. and still using his changing pad. Some folks prefer to change babies on the floor, but I find the changing table (a dresser w/pad on top) easier for me. I hope to use it until at least 2.

The pad was only like $20 or $30, and I think it's a good purchase.

mamatomax
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi,
Get the pad! I am still using mine, and I have found that the strap that you put around them is such a blessing when all they want to do is sit up.
Jill
Mama to Baby Max

http://b1.lilypie.com/VnnVm5/.png
http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/265055.png

wolverine2
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
We have the "combo" type dresser, which we like. I agree with the PP's that a changing pad is useful. We're still using it at 18 mos, and another advantage is that DS knows when we put him there that it's changing time. When we change him at someone else's house on a bed or something, he won't stay still, but he knows on the pad at home that we mean business!

Carrie
DS 10/04

Eloise36
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes you do. We have a changing pad on each floor for diaper changes. It's really convenient and definitely worth the small expense.

scarletsmommy
05-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I would recommend a contoured changing pad. We had gotten a flat pad as a gift and within a week bought a contoured one. It's SO MUCH safer once they can roll.

Also, you asked how long they get used. We're at 13 months and still going strong!

kusiakje
05-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I think it's important to mention as well that when babies are little, they pee...a lot...and often during diaper changes. If you don't have a pad underneath the baby, you might have bigger messes (as it won't soak into something, and will run off the side) and it may eventually cause some damage to the furniture or whatever below.

HTH,
Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)