PDA

View Full Version : What no one tells you about convertible cribs!

first_baby_for_me
05-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I just need to vent for a momemt...

After what seemed like endless research on convertible cribs, we finally settled on and purchased one along with the matching changing table/dresser. We love the crib and so does our 14 month old daughter who has been using it since she was two weeks old.

What I never read anywhere or was told by anyone - there's a good chance your child will teeth on the rails rendering it useless (or at least unsightly) down the road!

So her once beautiful crib that we thought would become a beautiful toddler bed and then beautiful full bed (either for her or for the guest room) has tons of teething marks.

I'm not sure I would have invested so much time and money in this crib and changer had I been told or thought of this. I might have settled for something that was more of a short-term (baby) solution and worried about "big girl" furniture later.

My hubby insists that we can have it re-finished, but it's unlikely it will match the dresser.

Oh well!

wdwyermaine
05-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I noticed Pottery Barn uses a 'plastic sheath' to protect the front rail on their cribs.

My wife and I just purchased a conversion unit along with matching dresser and bookshelf, no teething protection, can't believe it, they offer every other add on accessory under the sun.

Lets hope the finish on our new crib conversion unit complies with safety standards...

Thx

jillc
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Yep, my DD chewed up her beautiful crib pretty badly, too. Funny that it only took her a week or so to do some major damage. The crib is cherry in color, so it's really obvious. I was able to find some fabric crib rail covers (NoJo brand, I think) online somewhere & they at least cover up the damaged areas. Since they're fabric, I was able to take a needle & thread & sew them on so that DD couldn't just rip them off & chew again. She had just pulled the plastic rail covers right off in about 10 seconds...

Just thought I'd commiserate.

Best,
Jill

Jo..
05-08-2006, 05:16 AM
Many cribs aren't coming with teething rails, I guess the makers are trying to squeeze an extra buck or two from the profits. Teething rails can be purchased for $10 or less from many locations and will protect your crib. Here's just one place that sells them (most baby products stores cary these).

http://store.yahoo.com/dreamtimebaby/crratebyprli.html

As pp said, if they aren't really snug and difficult to remove, I can see a baby ripping them off...