PDA

View Full Version : Stationary crib

amw
05-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Are stationary side cribs more difficult to use as the baby grows and the mattress needs to be lowered? My husband and I are first time parents to-be, so we'd appreciate any feedback.

We think we decided on a crib, the Serenity Built to Grow Crib by Young America (Stanley Furniture). It has stationary sides and is convertible to a full size bed. We liked the stationary cribs because they seem very sturdy and don't have any movement or noise to disrupt the baby. It's easy for us to reach the mattress when it is set at the tallest height, but we're wondering how people like their stationary side cribs when the mattress is at the lowest height? I'm a little concerned after reading the comments in Baby Bargains that the stationary side crib might be more difficult to use when the baby is bigger and the mattress is lowered.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Stanley cribs?

Thanks

tarabenet
05-11-2006, 10:19 PM
If you do a "search" (little magnifier icon up near the left corner) you'll turn up several threads about this and see some differing opinions. A lot of it may come down to height. For taller moms, the stationary side seems to be no big deal, for shorter moms, it can be a major pain in the, well, back. After seeing what happened with my niece in her stationary-side crib, I knew for darn sure I had to have a drop-side!

jhrabosk
05-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Like the pp said about differing opinions...

We have a stationary side Childcraft crib and I have no problems with it...I'm 5'6". We're on the middle height setting right now, but I don't anticipate trouble when we go to the lowest.

Personally, the drop side cribs in our price range didn't seem sturdy enough for me. I liked the stable feeling of the fixed sides on our crib.

HTH!

mariza
05-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I bought my stationary crib for the same reasons, it felt more stable. I'm 5'6" and it wasn't a problem for me until we got to the lowest setting. It was difficult to change the sheets when we got to the 2nd to lowest setting, now that we moved to the lowest it's impossible for me to change the sheets. BUT, I am almost 6 months pg with #2!
Think about how long your DC might stay in the crib (although your child will have their own ideas!) Mine is 16 months and hasn't made a real attempt to climb out, but she does like to lean over the front rail and I was afraid she'd fall so I lowered the mattress.
She stands up so getting her out isn't a problem, but if she falls asleep in my arms, lowering her into the crib is tricky without "dropping" her. I basically have to support her head in one hand and grab her lower end by her sleep sack slowly lowering her in.
To be honest, even before I "popped" with the new baby it was difficult, but I just keep a small stool by the crib and step on that if DH isn't around to help put her in bed or change the sheets.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to give you some scenarios that I know I never thought of when choosing a crib. I still don't regret the stationary side though, I love her crib :)

almostamom
05-15-2006, 10:39 PM
We "inherited" our crib from my sister. I almost didn't take it because the sides had a double latch system in order to get them to drop down and I wanted one where you just leaned into it. Anyway, we took her crib and have NEVER used the drop down feature. I thought I would miss it, but I really don't. DH is 6'4", but I'm only 5'4". Personally, I think changing crib sheets is a pain regardless of whether or not the sides come down!

HTH,
~Linda~
http://lilypie.com/pic/060427/fDdc.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/qW3mm7.png

racerl1
05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
I have a stationary side Pali crib and love it, and I'm 5'5". Like the PPs, the drop sides didn't seem as sturdy as the stationary. I have the quick zip sheets, so changing the sheets isn't that big of an issue.

mariza
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
I use and *love* Quick Zip sheets too, I guess my big pregnant belly is just getting in my way, I have to use the step stool to lean in far enough to zip on the new one ;-)
i still wouldn't change my crib though, as a metter of fact we are thinking of getting another for the new baby, I was just playing devil's advocate with information I never though of when I originally bought the stationary crib.

ajmom
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Our crib has a drop side and we use it next-to-never. I'm 5'4" and it's not a feature I would insist on.