PDA

View Full Version : Are dutailiers worth the extra money?

keschy
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
I have been searching and searching for a good used glider rocker and they are hard to come by! At babycatalog I could get the locking/reclining glider plus the ottoman for $500 shipped.I really want those features but it is so much money! I'm starting to wonder if it might be worth doing. The baby is due in just over a month and I'm tired of looking. Who out there invested in the dutailier? Are you glad you did? Any other brands people like? Any input appreciated! Thanks :)

jhrabosk
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Honestly, I felt the same way you did. I absolutely refused to spend that kind of money on furniture that I didn't even find attractive!

We borrowed an old-fashioned rocker from my in-laws. I HATED it. I was uncomfortable and miserable while nursing in the middle of the night. It slid backwards on my carpet and I was constantly banging into the wall.

We held out for a few weeks and then made a mad dash for Buy Buy Baby where we only looked at Dutailier models that were in stock and ready to load into our car. I was in pure heaven and haven't looked back since.

We didn't get reclining or locking...they might've been nice, but I haven't missed them. I just made sure I got one that was wide enough to fit the nursing pillow (might be tough for you to test in your current pregnant state :)) and with a tall enough back to rest my head. And I like the ottoman...when DD was teeny, I would prop her in the Boppy and rock her on it with my knees while I pumped.

If money isn't a huge object, you probably won't regret it. If you'd rather get something with more longevity, others have expressed a preference for a leather recliner. If you'd rather get something really cheap, there's a particular IKEA chair that many like.

HTH!

mom to little e
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
With baby #1 we bought a used glider. I don't know the brand but it looked like it was in pretty good shape. Well, even though it was fairly cheap, it was actually a waste of that money because it was uncomfortable. I WISH I had known how many hours I would be sitting in it once the baby came! At 2AM, comfort is key! :)

With baby #2, we got smart! :) We looked at all of the Dutailier but then ended up going with a Best Chair that we ordered from USA Baby. We were looking for an upholstered chair and ottoman and now THIS has been one of our best purchases EVER! It is SO comfy, looks great, was cheaper, and even was delivered faster than the Dutailier! I was skeptical of the brand (and of USA Baby) given how well-known the Dutailiers are, but it is awesome.

Good luck!

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

lunababy
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
I don't care for mine too much. But, I bought an older model at a garage sale. It's the look more than comfort I don't like. I just posted about the great chair I got for much cheaper at Ikea. I'd recommend the Poang chair instead. Good luck.

genevieve
06-04-2006, 07:26 AM
I purchased a Dutalier from a specialty rocker store for the birth of my son almost 5 years ago. I haven't regreted it. By going to a specialty rocker store, I was able to find a model that matched the mission style furniture that I already had. None of the baby stores had this model. I also choose an upholstry that coordinated with my family room furniture. I have the style that reclines with a high back so that I can lean my head back. It is a very comforable chair that still looks and works like new. I haven't regretted the purchase. Unfortunately, it did take about 4 - 5 weeks to come in.

Good luck,

Genevieve

cinfulaz
08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
You probably have your chair by now, but hopefully this will help anyone who wants an alternative to a Lazy Boy or just a contemporary upholstered glider. I wish I had had this info before I spent hours looking on Ebay for upholstered swivel gliders. I wanted something that would be comfy when we transition into reading to baby boy.

I too highly recommend the Best chairs - you have soo many upholstery options and they have a few that are modern looking - squared arms, tailored, almost comparable w/Room and Board and others. You also have choices w/respect to glider vs. rocker, swivel, ottoman vs. reclining.

We got a high back swivel glider in a great taupe microsuede that is awesome except that I really really wish I had gotten reclining for those times when you're so exhausted you need to recline. Ours was an amazing $279 tax included (purchased 4/06) and the ottoman, if we get it, will be another $180. I found this at a local furniture store that has pretty generic furniture otherwise. Our local baby boutique carries Best chairs, their Storytime line, but they seem to be waaaay more expensive there so I recommend checking out inexpensive furniture stores to see if they carry Best.

This chair is also not quite wide enough for my 6'5" husband - I use it multiple times every day to nurse and like I said, I think I'd get one that reclines (husband thought it would be unsafe when baby gets older but man I wish we had it.) Also, they have one that is bigger but still squared off arms that is a glider/recliner/swivel that I didn't know about (it's in the Storytime line, but the furniture store didn't have it in their catalog and w/hubby w/me there was pressure to get it and get it done.)

The link below shows their chairs and gives dimensions. There is an alternative to your grandfather's Lazy Boy.

http://www.bestchairs.com/bcpublic/productLine.do?product=JU&style=&forward=Storytime

lunababy
11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Just an update to my post. My DS is 8 mos. Now that he is moving around more I do have one complaint about my IKEA chair. The armrests are wood with no padding like the gliders. I always have the bopp with me to make sure he does not whack his head. We have had a few close calls. he's super-active and I definitely still like it better than our glider.

Here is a link to my review of the chair.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=post&forum=6&topic_id=15094&mesg_id=15094