PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Moonlight Slumber Starlight Supreme owners

rika99
02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi All,

After scouring the site for reviews of the Moonlight Slumber Starlight Supreme Mattress, I've noticed that most of them were written by TaChapm (Tara), who received a free mattress from the Fields to test out. While I very much appreciate all of her glowing reviews of the product, I'd love to hear from other parents out there who bought the mattress.

- How are you finding it? Does your child sleep well on it? Have you had any problems with it?
- How has it held up after a year or two?
- Do you have the all-foam, or the foam/coil version?
- Does it feel as substantial as comparable Colgate mattresses?
- Do you use a mattress pad with it?
- Where did you order it from? (it seems, weirdly, to be MORE expensive directly through moonlight slumber...)
- If it didn't fit your crib, or you had a problem with it, how was their customer service?

Thank you!

ttb
02-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi there!

I chose a Moonlight Slumber Starlight Supreme mattress and I did not receive it for free! I came very close to buying a Colgate 3-in-1 mattress because 1) Colgate seems to be the most popular, well known brand of crib mattresses, 2) I couldn't decide between coil and foam and this one kind of had both and 3) I figured coil was best since that's what we sleep on at home. Then I read a bunch of postings here about mattresses and was swayed from coil to foam because of its hypoallergenic benefits and how lightweight it is (making sheet changes easier). Again, Colgate was the popular brand of foam mattress but then I read Tara's review of the Moonlight Slumber and was intrigued.

Like you, I wondered how great the mattress really was so I went onto their website. I cannot testify that it is better than the Colgate as I have never owned a Colgate. I can say that I was impressed by how the mattress is made: the squared vs. rounded edges, the soft outer cover which does not require a mattress pad and isn't crinkly vinyl, the smooth seams and it surpasses all federal/state standards (I'm in California). After speaking directly to Terri, the owner and President of Moonlight Slumber, I decided to buy.

So to answer your questions:
1. I really like the mattress and my son sleeps very well on it.
2. I have only had the mattress for about 4 months now but it's holding up just fine.
3. I chose the Starlight Support Supreme all foam mattress - very lightweight compared to the coil.
4. To me it feels comparable to the Colgate but I do like the workmanship on the Starlight. It doesn't feel plastic-y on the outside.
5. I have not put a mattress pad on it as the covering is waterproof and it is also really soft like suede. I don't feel like my son is sleeping on plastic with just the sheet on top of the mattress. I may add one later just because but it's great the way it is.
6. I ordered mine from Dreamtime Baby. They had free shipping that covered the standard shipping cost but there was an oversize shipping fee of $23. Still it was cheaper to purchase through them than directly from Moonlight Slumber. Go figure.
7. The mattress fits my crib perfectly, in fact very snug! I have a Baby's Dream convertible crib. I did not have any problems with the mattress so I cannot attest to Dreamtime Baby's customer service.

Good luck and seriously, call Terri at Moonlight Slumber. She is really nice and can answer all your questions so you can make an informed decision.

kusiakje
02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I also bought a Moonlight Slumber. I reviewed it in the parent review section of this website, so you can see all my thoughts there. To more specifically answer your questions:

We love it. DD's always slept like a champ on the mattress. She was sleeping for about 5-6 hours a night by 6 weeks. I credit the mattress's comfort partially. We've never had a single problem with it.

Yes, it's held up very well. DD is now 17 months old and the mattress still looks brand new. DD jumps on it, rolls around violently when she's waking/falling asleep, and just generally tries to beat the mattress up, but you couldn't tell just looking at it.

We have the foam/coil version. There's more about this if you look at my review.

I thought it felt as substantial or more so than the Colgate in the store. As you can see in my review, DH and I chose the Moonlight Slumber at the store and felt OK about it. Then someone gave us the BB book and we started questioning the decision and thinking maybe we'd been suckered as new parents. We looked at the mattresses again later at BRU and such briefly, but still felt like this mattress was better and worth the extra money. Like the PP said though, we've never used anything but the Moonlight Slumber, so I can't give the best analysis.

Yes, we used a mattress pad with the mattress. I know we didn't have to, but I liked the mattress pad for two reasons. 1) When DD's diapers leaked, the mattress pad absorbed quite a bit and kept the puddle from extending through most of the sheet. Basically, the sheet would be just slightly damp as opposed to dripping wet because the mattress pad locked away the excess. The couple of times our mattress pads were in the laundry and we had leaks, I missed them greatly. 2) I used waterproof pads underneath our changing pad covers and sheets because when we had an issue with leaking, etc. I could just roll everything up and toss them on the floor, with the dry bottom of the waterproof pad hitting the carpet, rather than trying to figure out how to cleanly get everything to into our tiny, inconveniently located laundry basket. (DD's room is extremely small. No room for a hamper or regular basket...)

As implied above, we got our mattress through a baby furniture store. They sucked and have subsequently gone out of business. Their screw-ups did result in us getting a 2nd mattress for free though (and they tried to give us a 3rd one, but we told them we had no use for yet another one.) I wound up giving my SIL the 2nd one...

The mattress fits snugly, but not super tightly in our Pali crib. Apparently, it's a much tighter fit in my SIL's Munire crib though. Last time she was visiting us, she made a comment about how she was surprised to see we had a finger's width between the crib slats and the mattress because hers is so tight. She's still using it though without too much trouble. (And now at 2 months, her son is sleeping through the night.)

HTH,
Jessica
Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

becca34
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
I bought two of these, as I'm expecting twins -- we haven't used them yet, but I thought I'd weigh in on my reasons, anyway...

First off, I figured if there was even a remote chance that the babies would sleep better on these than on a cheaper mattress, then they were worth twice the price, LOL. But in all honesty, my older daughter slept on a cheap $60 mattress from BRU, and she slept 7 or 8 hours straight by 8 weeks. So, who knows...

I chose foam, because I wanted something lightweight. I like the hypoallergenic qualities, the rounded corners, and the "feel" of the mattress. I won't use mattress pads because they're waterproof, but I will likely use the Ultimate Crib Sheet or a large sheet saver on top of the regular crib sheet.

We moved our daughter to a twin bed right when she turned 2...but with these kiddos, we will likely convert their cribs to toddler daybeds, to continue getting as much use of these mattresses as we can, considering what they cost! I can't remember where I bought them, but it was a site with free shipping -- BabyAge or Baby Universe or some place like that...

ETA -- they fit perfectly well in our JCPenney-brand cribs.

Aishe
02-27-2007, 12:28 AM
We've had our Moonlight Slumber mattress for about eight months and we've been pleased. But I must provide the disclaimer that my daughter is naturally a terrible sleeper and only spends about 5 hours per night in her crib (she ends up in our bed the rest of the night).

- It's holding up very well. In fact it essentially looks and feels brand new. She seems to sleep comfortably on it (naps included), and I don't at all feel that her sleep issues are related to the mattress.
- We have the all foam version. It's pretty light. I find changing sheets to be pretty easy.
- I never examined a Colgate mattress so I can't compare.
- No mattress pad. It just doesn't seem necessary to me since the cover is so soft.
- I think I ordered it from BabyAge or Baby Universe. I can't remember now.
- It fits perfectly in our Sorelle crib.

I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping so I can't really say if it's worth the extra cost, but I do think it seems quite comfortable and very well-constructed. I'm pretty finicky about mattresses and the Moonlight Slumber just strikes me as a high-quality product. I expect to use it on a second child (whom we will start sleep training much earlier!).

rika99
09-23-2007, 03:23 PM
After six months with the Moonlight Slumber Starlight Supreme, I wanted to go ahead and answer my own questions, in case anyone else was considering the mattress:

- We LOVE the mattress, and the baby (now 6 months) sleeps very well on it. Then again, he also sleeps well in the swing, on the floor, in his car seat, etc. We haven't had any problems with it at all.
- After six months, it's like new.
- We have the all-foam version, and I'm glad I got it. It's fairly heavy and substantial, to the point where if it was any heavier, it would be a HUGE pain in the ass to change the sheets. Right now it's only a moderate pain in the ass.
- It's definitely as substantial as the comparable Colgate mattresses (we looked at those at the store), and isn't covered with scary PVC that's a bit crunchy. One of the best things about the mattress is its super-soft waterproof cover.
- We do use a mattress pad with it, though we don't really have to. It just saves me from having to wipe down the mattress cover when I change the sheets.
- We ordered it from another retailer because it was cheaper (free shipping), though we did get a custom-sized mattress from the company directly for our arm's reach mini-co-sleeper too. If you need a custom-sized situation for anything, they're great about it!
- THe mattress fits our crib perfectly (we have a Mother Hubbard's Cupboard Crib), but if it didn't, the company itself has excellent customer service. I'm not sure if they would have taken it back or not, but I suspect we could have worked something out.

GlindaGoodWitch
09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
We love our Moonlight Slumber and are currently expecting dc #2. Hoping (crossing fingers even now) to have DD in her big girl bed by the time her brother arrives. So saying this miracle happens, would you reuse your original mattress?

I know there is a huge school that believes you shouldn't ever do that because of SIDS, but I just thought because of the construction of this bed that I would feel ok about it.

Any thoughts? (Am I being ridiculous?)