PDA

View Full Version : costco shermag glider

emschwar
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Anyone have this one?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11199045&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4013910&Mo=19&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48047&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C

Wondering of the quality. It has all the features we want, and the price is nice (a lot better than the $500 dutailer I liked at BRU this weekend!).

Thanks!

Piglet
04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
We just got our Shermag glider from Costco (in Canada). It isn't the exact same style, but has similar features, from what I can tell. So far we really like it, although baby isn't here yet. DH likes it - he actually fits in it, unlike many of the other gliders which seemed better suited for shorter people (women). It seems well made and it was quite easy to set up. The bets thing about Costco is that if you hate it, they take returns at their stores no problem, so it is pretty risk free.

mrcotton73
05-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Stay away from this one!! We just ordered this glider from Costco a few days ago. It arrived last Friday. It is a Shermag glider made China. When I unpacked the box to assemble the glider, I discovered that the wood on the seat base was split length wise from where the bolts were on the back side of the chair base(on both - the right and left side - where the seat backrest attaches to the base)-- and I am not talking about a small crack - the wood had actually split (1/8 - 1/4" gap). It did not seem that this was shipping damage (more like the wood was low quality)... Pretty dissapointed that Shermag would have such low qaulity - its been rated quite fairly in BabyBargins...

Needless to say - we had to haul it back to our local Costco and return it. I also browsed around on Target for Shermag gliders and I found another reviewer had reported a similar problem with their glider (this was one the multi-position Shermag gliders on Target.com).

So we decided to check out some gliders at baby-depot this weekend (they have a couple of Shermag models) -- and indeed - on close inspection - the floor models had the same issue (though in this case the wood had not split as bad as the one I got, cracks were visible when you looked closely. Baby Depot carries the same model that is being referred to above - though much higher in price.. Oh - and all the models that Baby Depot sells were made in China or Malaysia.

I noticed that Costco has a couple of Shermag gliders made in Canada that are more expensive - don't know if these would be any better quality though.

So now I am considering buying a La-z-boy rocker recliner instead - just checked it out at our local store today and they have a great one for $399 with 10% off sale on the coming Saturday - so a great price and looks like a normal recliner (not like a nursery item). So just need to decide if just having the rocker function is ok (this one does not glide - only rocking motion).. but super comfy!!

Sorry for the long reply - but had to post my experience on the Shermag.

emschwar
05-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Costco took it back no problems right? Your story makes me a little wary, but I still might try it, since costco has such an awesome return policy and the price is right. We've found the glider (or ones that look very similar and have all the same features) at Baby Depot and a local baby store, and it was comfortable, so we may take the risk, knowing we can return it to costco at a full refund. We want a glider w/ a recline feature and it's hard to find them at this price!

mrcotton73
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Costco took it back allright - no problems there..

Just did not want to get the same one again especially after seeing the ones in baby depot having cracks in them.. Don't think the long term durability is going to be good on these.

But good luck - maybe you will get a good one!

emschwar
05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I hope so! At least with the costco policy, we've really got nothing to lose, except maybe having to make a trip to costco, and let's face it, that's not a loss! :)

I haven't managed to find any other gliders in that price range with all the features we want (recline, mostly). Hopefully it'll be good! And if it doesn't hold up, we can always take it back, since costco will take it back at any time.

SJ mom
05-14-2007, 09:09 PM
I ordered this glider about 2 weeks ago and received it today!! So far I like it. The quality seems nice, the fabric matches the decor of the room and no splits in the wood here. The package was a bit damaged but the glider works fine. The stop and stand mechanism needs a bit of work but overall I like it. It glides the ones at buybuy baby and BRU.
Good luck.

jenjapan
08-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I've been searching for information on gliders and ottomans sold through Costco but haven't found much (except this discussion).

I am wondering if those of you who have bought gliders from Costco would mind telling me what functions your chairs have? Specifically, I'm wondering if they recline or have the multi-position lock option.

I've emailed my question to the email contact where you request fabric swatches but haven't received any response yet.

We like Costco and usually find their selections to be of pretty high quality and their price for the glider and ottoman set seems really good but my friends recommend that I buy one with the reclining function so I am wondering if this is possible at Costco's relatively low price.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Jenny
First time mom...

Piglet
09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
So the bad news is that the ottoman broke this week. It was looking sort of funny and then I noticed the underside of the cushion was split in half (it is just particle board). I figured we probably sat on it, but who doesn't sit on the ottoman once in a while? I was not impressed!

The good news - Costco took it all back no questions asked and gave me a full refund. Best of all, DD is already 4 months old and we hardly use it these days, so effectively I got a glider to use for free for 4 months and now that I don't need it, I don't have to worry about storing it!

Boo on Shermag for making a less than quality product. Yay for Costco taking it back!