PDA

View Full Version : creative solutions for changing table in bathroom?

kekane
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm expecting in mid-july. We're pressed for space in our rental apartment. The one place we have some extra room is in the second bathroom -- don't really need to use it as that.

So i'm trying to figure out how to fit a changing table in there. there's not enough wall space/door clearance to just have a normal one -- anyone know of some extra-short models (<32" long)? Or some clever substitutes?

I keep eyeing the unused bathtub and trying to think of ways I could create a stable, raised surface in there. The sink counter (16" x 35") would be perfect --- if it were all counter and no sink! (even looked into pet beds that might raise it above the level of the faucet fixture -- but they weren't long and narrow enough).

Any creative ideas?

In the short run i'm going to use the top of the dryer-- but that's right off the kitchen and i'm concerned about smell issues.

SnuggleBuggles
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Any way you could get a contoured changing pad to fit on the vanity or over the sink?
http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Pad-%252d-2-Sided/dp/B000JIHHAO/ref=sr_1_9/002-0464196-6841613?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1179347524&sr=1-9

How about a Pack n Play with changing table? They seem smaller than a changing table, at least in some dimensions (others it's probably a lot bigger).

I have plenty of friends who just used a bed or floor as their changing areas.

Beth

JoyNChrist
05-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Honestly, I'd just buy a nice changing pad (the kind that fold up - like the ones you put in a diaper bag) and a plastic caddy or basket to keep diapers, wipes, and rash cream in, and keep all that beside your bed or beside the couch. We have a changing table in the nursery, but we've certainly changed DS on the bed, couch, and floor plenty of times too. A changing table is nice, but it's definitely not a necessity.

CiderLogan
05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
You could buy one of those contraptions that turns the crib into a changing area and use your crib.

Or, just use the floor or bed like Stacy suggested. We didn't have a changing table after 6 mos. (we moved at that time and had been using a built-in desk before and didn't want to buy one), and it worked totally fine. Besides, in the early months we just changed diapers wherever we were and rarely bothered to go into the nursery - just keep a pad and supplies in a few locations around the apt.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

C99
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
IKEA has some wall-mounted changing areas that fold up when not in use.

P.S. I am using the top of my dresser as a changing area right now.

kekane
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
cool thanks for the tip w/the ikea item. looks like it has some potential. (and there's an ikea opening here in portland in july, yay!)

TerriT
05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Here's another wall-mounted changing table by Brio that looks sturdy....sorry, I don't know how to make the link active (or you can google Brio Vegga nursery table.)

HTH.

http://www.brio.fi/BRIO_NET/Corporate/?url=http:%2f%2fwww.brio.fi%2fBRIO_NET%2fCorporate %2fFurniture%2fNURSERY+TABLES%2fWall%2fProducts%2f BRIO+Vegga?b=4