PDA

View Full Version : slipcovers for gliders?

dbianca23
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
i know i've seen these somewhere...anyone know where to get slipcovers for gliders or a way to have cushions recovered? thanks!

wheezypig
07-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I know for Dutailier gliders you can order new cushions. You need to either know the model number or take the cushions (which have the model number on them) to a store that sells Dutailier gliders. They will be able to order you new cushions in a fabric that you chose. It is pricey though. When I sold them a few years ago, they were at least $150 - $200. I'm not sure about other glider companies. Alternately, you can have a seamstress make slip covers or recover you cushions. I don't think there are universal glider slipcovers because they are all different sizes and shapes.

azmaple
07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
On the suggestion of a salesperson at BRU, I bought the least expensive glider with an ottoman and had the 2 pieces re-upholstered. I stopped at an upholstery fabric store and looked at options then got business cards of a couple places near them that did upholstery work. I think I stopped at 3 and the quotes were from $100 to $200. They told me how much fabric to buy (I got washable micro-suade with a 50% off coupon) and went with the lower quote. They did a great job.

Now that I'm getting prepared for #2 to come I have some regrets that I didn't get a better/ less-squeaky rocker from craiglist or somewhere. I don't expect to use it beyond the baby stage but there's a definate quality difference between the $150 and $500 models as you'd expect.

Tammy, mom to Cole - 9 months & 17w4d

Happy 2B mommy
07-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I know this is a late reply, but I too have been ISO glider cushion slipcovers, and last week finally found a super-easy and super-cheap solution. I found a nice, wide glider and ottoman at a garage sale -for $20.00! I bought it because I could tell the quality of the glider was much better than the gliders at Target or the cheap gliders at BRU. The only problem were the cusions, country blue in color. Getting custom slipcovers would have cost me about $100.00 and I also had to supply the material.

I found that using a high-quality crib sheets and/or changing pad covers work beautifully. I love the feel of the PBK chamois sheets/changing pad covers and now enjoy them on the glider. I use one sheet for the back and seat cushion and the changing pad cover on the ottoman cushion. (the changing pad covers would also fit the cushions individually). Excess material from the crib sheet is tucked between and under the cushions. Because they are thick, none of the blue color shows through. My baby has reflux and often spits up not only on me, but onto the glider as well. It is so easy to take the sheet off, put on the spare sheet and toss the yucky one in the wash.

It might not be the solution for everyone, but if you are on a tight budget and don't sew, this works great.