PDA

View Full Version : Need help....Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, Cariboo bassinet...or other?

bjessen
08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm due with our 3rd child Sept 17. We just moved across country, everything is in storage (waiting to move into our home around first 2 weeks of Sept), and after our 2nd we gave away our moses basket and crib (weren't sure if we were gonna have another, and knew we'd be moving a lot, so lightened the load). I breastfed my 1st two kids till 18 months and know that I will want the baby in the room for at least 3 months. We have smaller kids (definetely in weight, they are now fairly tall in height...I'm 5'2", but dh is 6'...we were both skinny kids as well). So, I think getting a bassinet of some sort is a good idea as dh doesn't like the co-sleep option (I do though...he didn't realize that half the time our 2nd was in the bed part of the night...he's a heavy sleeper so never clued in). With our 1st I didn't co-sleep or have her in the room, even though her room was next to ours, I was exhausted getting up for feedings all night. With our second I had a moses basket near the bed, I still had to get up to get him, but it wasn't as bad, and as mentioned, sometimes I'd dose with him near me and then put him back after a quick nap...

So, I went over options with dh last night. We waited this long since he just got back from deployment in July and then we moved between mid-July and August...so I've been busy concentrating on other things. Anyway, he doesn't like the Arms Reach Co-sleeper as he says it is too close to the idea of the baby being in the bed. We have friends of ours that still have their 5 & 7 yr olds coming into the room at night...they never have s*x, dh was kinda shocked...he likes the fact that when our munchkins were toddlers we had a rule....they could come in and snuggle after the sun comes up (they get snuggle time, occasionally we can sleep in...and we still get alone time at night). Anyway, it is a bit of a shame about the Arms Reach...since I like the idea....but it is made in China anyway and a lot of plastic, so worries me a bit. He also doesn't want a Pack-n-Play (which I thought was a bit big anyway). He likes the idea of a Moses basket like we had last time...separate space for baby from the beginning, but this time I want a stand (we had it on our blanket chest before at the foot of the bed...I want the stand next to the bed...a compromise of sorts w/dh).

We have natural cherry furniture (mid-tone) & Pottery Barn chocolate and tan bedding, so I was hoping to get a bassinet to go with our bedroom. We do not know the baby's sex, so also hoping for neutral bedding (though could have some made by a local gal here).

So, I found Pottery Barn and Land of Nod both have baskets with stands...PB's is more chocolate color & rolls, LOD's more honey/tan and rocks....however, in light of the recent recalls I called to see where they are made. Neither could tell me and both said usually the info is listed, but were surprised that it was not....and took my name and info down to contact later. Does anyone have these? Do you like it? Do I chance where they are made with all the recalls?

I also saw the Cariboo online....looks like it is made in New Zealand (maybe better standards?), goes up to 22lbs...does anyone know if it is sturdy? I do have a 6 & 4 yr old in the house...so don't want to worry about them peeking in on the baby while I'm in the shower if it is easily tipped. Also, looks like if I wanted a custom cover from a local seamstress that it might be able to be made....has anyone done this? The white is okay, but might like something different and none of the pattern ones quite work. Overall it looks kinda basic for the price though. I do like the canopy attachment though.

I liked the idea of Stokke's bassinet & crib as an option....but dh doesn't like it at all.

I tried to sell him on a stroller bassinett (like the Chameleon, lol), he reminded me we had a perfectly good P3, infant car seat, and Mountain Buggy Urban Double (older one, so new bassinets don't work with it...bummer...that would've been a bit large anyway in the room) in storage we'll get in a few weeks....he doesn't want another stroller :(

Is there another option I haven't run across? Something that will hold the baby for the 1st 3 months, isn't gonna be on the floor or table (like a regular moses basket w/o stand), and is in the color range I described? This is hard since I'm not sure this is our last, and really want to like the pieces we choose as it could go through this and another baby(ies) maybe....

After the bassinet/1st 3 months, we were leaning toward the Pottery Barn Dana, Star, or Thomas crib in white, but now I'm rethinking it...again the recalls. We have a White Thomas Trundle bed that the kids have been sharing and we were gonna switch them to Honey Camp bunk beds with a trundle for the next 2-3 yrs at which point dd will be 9 and too old to share with ds...(& eventually have a "girls" room in white and a "boys" room in honey, baby bunking with one or the other), now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. Really nervous about the China based beds and the stains/paints. I guess I could get the beds, then test them myself with a test kit and return right away if it fails. Our other option was Stanley's Young America My Haven Built to Grow Crib in white (looks kinda like a PB piece) which might go with the Thomas trundle if we decide to keep it. Unfortunatley I haven't seen bunkbeds I like as much as Pottery Barn's anywhere...I really want a twin set that can break down to two twin beds & also have a trundle underneath with a ladder attached to the bed, not leaning up against and on the floor blocking the trundle underneath (as most do).

We had a Pali Sabrina in Natural last time...it was okay. Wasn't in love with the color or style. I've checked out Pali and a lot of the other lines, nothing is hitting me as far as style as the PB and LON stuff unfortantely. Bratt Decor's Heritage or #### cribs are nice, but very pricey...and also imported, not sure from where. PB's is just easy to coordinate with moving around a lot and sometimes switching out furniture.

Sorry for the long ramble...just am at a loss this time around. I'm unfortunately more picky...know what I want, just can't find it, or find it and am unsure about the saftey of the paint/stain. And as I hem and haw...Sept 17/18 is getting closer by the day. At the rate I'm going, DH may have to deal with co-sleeping by default, lol.

Any help would be great! Thanks!