PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a crib "substitute"

citycat
09-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi,
I am expecting baby #3 in a few weeks, and I have extremely limited space in our current house. The plan is to move sometime next year, but who knows how long it will take to sell the house, etc. A crib will not fit in our house, and even a pack n play will be too big. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what alternative would give me the most longevity, as far as baby weight and length are concerned. I know there are basinettes, cradles, co-sleepers, mini co-sleepers, portable cribs, travel lite cribs, etc. Luckily, my kids are generally on the small/average side and not big babies, so I am hoping to get maybe 6-9 months out of whatever I purchase. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

p.s. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, so if there is a better place to get an answer, please let me know!

csa12
09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Have you checked out the Amby baby hammock? I am expecting my third soon as well and while we have the space, the configuration (i'll be upstairs while kids and Dh will be downstairs) is forcing me to be with the new baby upstairs until she can share a room with my other DD. I have been thinking about this as an option because it doesn't seem to take up much space and can accomodate a baby until they are at least 6-9 months old. I also read that it travels well too. They are pricey but I have been watching some on ebay go for a little less than buying new.

HTH,
Cheryl
DS 1/24/03
DD 10/28/05
Baby on the way - 11/24/07!

bryana
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I imagine that the small version of the pack and play (travel-lite?) would be the best option and there are lots of companies that make sheets to fit...

derstina
09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
We used an Amby with our 2nd baby and it was great! We got it when she was about 5 months and she used it until about 9-10 months, till after we got settled in our new house and got her switched over to her crib. Seems like kind of a short time, but it made a world of difference to us. She would not sleep on a flat surface and would not sleep with us like our first did...she slept in a Lazy Boy recliner the first 5 months of her life! So we were thrilled to find the Amby (bought it used on craigslist and resold it for not much less after we were done with it). We loved it because she would sort of end up bouncing herself back to sleep sometimes when she started to stir, and it was easy to bounce her to sleep in there to begin with, too. (She loved to be nestled and bounced, so it was perfect for her).

Good luck!

panjabear
10-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi - quick question. I am also considering buy an Amby due to space considerations. Any issues with buying it used? Did you just wash it, clean it? I am considering this vs. a portable or mini-crib. We already bought a pack n play, but that is still too big for the bedroom!