PDA

View Full Version : crib sheet safety ratings

laclark
03-14-2001, 04:18 PM
I am wondering about the safety ratings by GH. I bought my dd's crib sheets from Land's End a little over a year ago. According to the GH ratings at that time they were at/near the top for safety. Now on their latest ratings they don't even pass. Did Lands End change the sheets? If so when did they change them? Do I have the ones that passed or not?

TIA
Laurie

poofgirl
03-21-2001, 03:42 AM
I'm glad to find this. I was going to ask the same thing. I'm wondering if GH changed their rating criteria. Can't wait to find out the answer.

Angelina

twinmom
05-22-2001, 04:20 PM
I've been wondering the same thing, and was about to e-mail the Fields to ask. We bought Land's End sheets last spring for our twins, because they were supposed to be among the safest. (This was a sizeable investment ... we bought something like twelve sheets in both flannel and cotton percale!) Now, Good Housekeeping's new report says that Land's End sheets are unsafe. Do we need to buy new sheets, or are the old Land's End ones safer than their new ones?

I'd rather not spend $$$$ to buy new sheets if the old ones are safe.

mckitt
05-23-2001, 12:37 PM
There had been an update on the Baby Bargains web site talking about this, but they seem to have updated and reorganized their site, so I couldn't find it again. I may also have read it in their e-newsletter.

Basically, the two tests were completely different--I don't remember how they did the first test and the second test looked at something like the ability of 10 pounds of force to dislodge the crib sheets (or something like that)--I remember that it seemed somewhat arbitrary. At one point I also went back to the GH site and one thing they didn't mention was whether the tested sheets had been pre-washed or not. Since all-cotton sheets may shrink a bit with the first washing, the previously good sheets may have flunked this round if they hadn't been washed and/or preshrunk first, making them fit more loosely on the mattress.

There are a couple of other posts on the GH tests on this board and I think they may contain links to the original article at the GH site.