PDA

View Full Version : question about bedding

kwagner
05-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Hi, all.

We've moved on to the point where we can start thinking about bedding and decor for the baby, but I have some questions about the quality of the products. 1) How can you tell if pieces are sewn with cotton vs. nylon thread? And what about the filling for the bumper pads? Does it specify what materials are used for these pieces on the label? 2) We're very taken with the KidsLine Whirligig pattern, but I'm a little leery about the appliques on the bumper pad. Any words pro or con on this bedding? (and what exactly is an applique, anyway? I'm talking about the stitiching on a 5x5 patch of fabric -- is that an applique?)

Thanks in advance for the help. (BTW, we also made good use of your Bridal Bargains book around this time last year -- thanks for all the great advice!)

alandenisefields
05-22-2001, 08:57 PM
Hi. Thanks for reading our book, BABY BARGAINS! Glad you found it helpful. And thanks for reading our wedding book too.

To answer your questions:
1. Check out a fabric store---there you can see the difference between cotton and nylon thread!
2. Some makers do specify bumper filling; other than that, you can just do the squeeze test to determine whether an adequate amount of fill has been used.
3. An applique is a series of adornments on bedding that are tightly stiched---a teddy bear, flower design, etc. Nope, we don't have any specific word on that bedding grouping---but perhaps other parents who've bought it can comment!

Thanks again for reading our book,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS