PDA

View Full Version : How to hang a quilt

gingerbrown
06-14-2001, 09:40 AM
I've seen the quilts that come with crib bedding sets hung as wall hangings, and I'd like to do that with the one I've got, but I can't figure out how to hang the quilt -- does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ginger

cabote
06-14-2001, 02:32 PM
I hung my daughter's quilt with wooden quilt clips designed for this purpose from Pottery Barn Kids. They have three designs-stars, flowers, and a plain, more versitle design. They are $24 for three clips. I think they are great. We only needed two of the clips because her quilt is light weight. Now I have an extra to hang something else!
PB Kids also sells REALLY cute shelves with a rod to hang a quilt underneath. I am not sure of the price on these. They are adorable though. Good luck!

alandenisefields
06-14-2001, 02:39 PM
There are 2 ways to do this---quilt clips (like the reader below mentions) or a quilt rack. These are often sold at quilt stores or fabric stores that specialize in quilt fabric (call local fabric stores to get some ideas). Another idea: Quilting Magazine (available at Barnes & Noble) has ads in the back from companies that make/sell quilt racks!

best wishes,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

jiujiu
06-20-2001, 05:21 PM
You can hang your quilt yourself with Velcro.

Buy a long strip of Velcro appropriate to the weight and size of your quilt (available up to around 2" wide). The strip should be about 3/4" shorter than the top of the quilt.

Make a sleeve from cotton fabric that is folded to overlap underneath the Velcro strip. The sleeve should be 1/4" inch wider all around than the Velcro. Iron the sleeve flat then center the looped velcro on the sleeve and attach it by machine stitching along the selvege and across the two ends.

With a running or hemming stitch, sew the top, bottom and sides of the sleeve to the top of the back of the quilt.

Prepare a piece of wood about 1/4-1/2" thick and 1/4" larger all around than the piece of Velcro. The wood should be sanded and sealed using acrylic latex paint. Staple the hooked Velcro to the wood at 1/4-1/2" intervals.

You can insert screw eyes into the top of both ends of the wood to hang it or you can mount the wood strip directly to the wall.

Hang your quilt!

Wendi
07-19-2001, 10:43 AM
I also had a quilt that I wanted to hang on the wall with out altering it. I just straight-pinned six pieces of fabric to the top back leaving enough room for the rod to go through and hung it up. I left about and inch of free space at the end of each side so you would not see the rod sticking out. I really looks great and not "jimmy-rigged" at all. I have had a lot of compliments on it. I hope that idea helped.

douglasg1999
07-26-2001, 12:10 PM
We found a nice oak quilt hanger in the JC Penneys catalog. It was priced at $20, with shipping and handling it came to $28. It is on a page with their baby bedding outfits. In the Fall 2001 catalog.

MonsterMom2
07-26-2001, 07:00 PM
I bought an inexpensive current rod that looks like a dowel with two plain end finials. Sewed 5 thread loops onto the top of the quilt where the ruffle attaches. Had to cut the length of the current rod to match the quilt, but that was dh's job. Worked great for less than $10.

mackenziemouse
08-05-2001, 05:37 PM
I found some quilt hangers at Wal Mart. They were about 2 bucks apiece, and I think you needed one for every 24 inches or so (depending on the weight I suppose). They are wooden, and have a marble inside. You can paint them any color you like. You slip the quilt up to hold it, and sideways to get it out. The marble holds it. They are about 1.5 inches by 4 inches in size. I used them in my daughters room for a quilt her Grandmother made that I didn't want to alter at all.

angusmom
12-08-2001, 02:52 AM
Ginger, I am sure you have already decided how to hang your quilt, but I came across this product the other day and maybe it will help you or somebody else. It's a bar with clips for hanging comforters/quilts.

http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/red/red00575.html

wen
12-12-2001, 10:08 AM
As the Fields mention, you can get quilt hanging blocks. I did this and easily found them at a local quilting/sewing store. I found the store in the yellow pages - the bigger/more popular places like JoAnn Fabrics did not carry them. The advantage of the blocks I found was that they were unfinished so we can finish them to match the unusual colored wood furniture in our nursery.