PDA

View Full Version : Why not white sheets?

SFMOM
06-29-2001, 01:24 PM
In the book, the authors recommend against white sheets for the crib. I thought white made the most sense since the sheets could be bleached and wouldn't fade with multiple washings?

If you buy colored sheets, how can you get them really clean and keep them from fading?

alandenisefields
07-02-2001, 11:12 AM
Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards!

Yes, some folks have pointed out that white sheets can be bleached and therefore would be easy to keep clean. You will have to run an extra rinse cycle to get any residue out of the sheets. And if you purchase any accessories to go with them (bed skirt, bumpers) they may not remain as white since they won't be washed as often (a problem with any sheet set).

If you choose to buy colored sheets a color safe bleach works quite well. You won't want to wash colored sheets on hot, rather warm water will work to clean them and keep them from fading out.

Our biggest concern with white sheets is they just show more dirt between washings. But we certainly see your point.

Best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

stacik
11-03-2001, 11:09 PM
Aren't multiple bleachings bad for fabric, though? I think the fabric will become thinner and weaker after many bleachings. Be aware that your white sheets will stay white for about 30 seconds after your baby lays on them. Spit up, diaper leaks, etc. This will happen every time you put the baby down, I have been told by experienced moms.

mimi
11-23-2001, 03:22 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but I like white crib sheets. I have used white crib sheets (I believe from Company Store) and a Pottery Barn white bumper pad for my 27month old. I did use an extra sheet protector when he was a newborn for a few months. My sheets and bumper are still the same white color. I don't use the crib skirt since when the mattress is all the way down it covers the crib drawer.

My philosophy is that I like to see dirt/stains so that I can clean it instead of hiding it. I believe if you get a good quality sheet and use bleach appropriately, you won't have a problem. I only have two crib sheets (though, I would recommend more than two) and have cleaned them as soon as they are soiled without any fabric degradation.