PDA

View Full Version : mattress pads for colgate mattress and bassinette?

elizabethaw
10-09-2001, 08:37 AM
I'm ordering the Colgate Classica mattress. It's waterproof, right? So do I need a mattress pad? Land's End makes one that I'm sure is nice, but it's $30, so I'd rather not spend the money if it isn't necessary.

Also, I plan to use a pack-n-play bassinette (small size) at night for the first month or so. I only need a sheet for that, right? Is it true that you shouldn't really use anything else with the pack-and-play bassinettes?

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Ali
02-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Probably a little late to be helpful for you, but for anyone else with the same question:

The classica is waterproof-- mostly. In order for it to "breathe" it has to have little holes on the side. You probably will NEVER get anything all the way down the sides to the holes, so it may not be necessary. There is, however, a pattern in the vinyl on the top, which may end up being a pain to clean stuff out of. (Especially if you're trying to do so in the middle of the night holding an upset baby).

We bought the Classica, the crib, the sheets, the waterproof mattress cover, the bumper pads, etc., and it was a waste of money. Babies usually seem to miss mommy and want to be next to her, and will sometimes cry disconsolately until they drop off to sleep if forced to stay in the crib. Although, occasionally there's one who prefers the crib! Also, it's easier to feed and change them and get them quiet and settled if you don't have to get up and wander down a cold hall first. The crib makes a great place to store all the loot you get, though, and makes a great and secure changing table. *grin*

And yes, if you put anything else in the Pak 'n Play you'll have a SIDS risk. Same as with a crib.

Good luck and enjoy your little!

Bazza
03-03-2002, 02:30 PM
I have been wondering the same thing regarding whether a mattress pad is really necessary? I also had been looking at the one for $30 on the Lands End website. Does anyone else have any more thoughts/experience with this??

Thanks!

suzska
03-04-2002, 12:21 AM
I know this has been discussed before (maybe under mattresses? I can't find the thread right now).

It's probably a matter of personal preference. I didn't get the mattress pad from Lands' End (although we have one for our bed). What I did was buy the mattress pad/cover that is vinyl on one side and flannel on the other (vinyl side down--keeps it from sliding around). It doesn't fit around the mattress like a normal mattress pad, it just lays on top. I bought two so that one could be on the crib while the other was in the wash. I just found it easier to wash that then to worry about having to clean anything up off the mattress before putting a clean sheet back on.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

akc
03-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi - out of curiousity, who makes the pad that you bought? I think that sounds like a good plan. Thx!

akc

suzska
03-04-2002, 08:50 PM
I can't remember, but I bought them at BRU. I want to say Continental Quilting or something like that? The only ones I see online at BRU are quilted, but that's not what I have. Carter's does make ones that are heavier because they are flannel on both sides. I have one of those, but have never used it in the crib. I did use it when my son was younger and I wanted to bring him into our bed--I just folded it in half and stuck it on top of the sheets between DH and I. The one time I didn't do that, his diaper leaked. Figures.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01