PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Pads?

grelli2
02-01-2002, 12:48 PM
I've been trying decide about bumper pads. I read that they probably weren't a good idea because of SIDS risk of reducing air flow. You supposedly have to take them out at 6 months so the baby won't use them to climb out of the crib, also. Any thoughts on all of this?

holland2
02-01-2002, 01:02 PM
I debated and debated and finally decided to get one. The baby does not move around for the first few weeks, but thereafter it does and you do not want the poor little thing bumping its head against the sides. Mine moves around all the time. A friend of mine has a little one that sleeps in one position all night- she does not use one.

Get a bumper and use it once you see that it is necessary.
I do not believe is splurging on bumpers- you can get reasonable priced ones if your baby needs it at kidsrus and target. If your kid never needs it, then return it. If it does, you have it on hand.

Geebee
02-04-2002, 09:21 PM
I never used them with my daughter. I started to put them in once, but I didn't really see the point (besides decoration). My daughter didn't move much as a newborn. They might have been useful when my daughter was backing up and getting a leg caught in the slats, but I'm not sure that bumpers would have prevented that problem. And that stage didn't last very long - eventually, she learned to move forward!

I just don't think that they are a "must have". I would agree with the other poster who said buy them now and return them if you don't think that they are necessary (which is essentially what I did). Or buy them when and if you think they are necessary (especially with Target and their &^$% 90 day return policy!).

I hope that helps!