PDA

View Full Version : What items do you make if sewing nursery linens?

akc
02-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Hi there - I'm from NC and have always found fabric for my house when I needed drapes, reupholstering, etc. We get such good bargains where I'm from and I can choose the perfect fabric. So, as usual, I've found an adorable fabric for a nursery, but I'm confused as to what you would make/have made for a nursery.

For safety purposes, I'm thinking I would want to buy a bumper and crib sheets, etc. But then, am I only using the fabric for a crib skirt (which is sort of optional) and curtains? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
akc

SylviaC
02-05-2002, 08:15 PM
It depends on how much you sew. I made a crib-sized quilt and bumpers (I'm not sure what you mean by safety concerns), didn't get around to curtains yet, and bought the sheet and skirt in a solid coordinating fabric. If you have the time you can make everything. I'm especially glad I made the bumpers because I could put on ties to fit my crib exactly. I also made a wall hanging with the scraps.
Sylvia

Elaine
02-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Well, if you are a good seamstress, I'd say to go ahead and make anything you want! I don't think there are any "rules" for what you have to have in your nursery. Fortunately my mom is pretty good at sewing and she made my crib skirt, bumpers, and curtains. It was great because I wasn't confined to just "baby" theme fabrics and was able to get exactly what I wanted -- for MUCH cheaper. I was appalled at the price of coordinated baby bedding! Esp. when 1) a quilt can't even be used in a crib, and 2) bumpers are only used for the first couple of months, more as decoration than anything else.

Other uses for fabric -- either one main pattern, or one or more coordinating patterns: a diaper stacker; a table cover; accent pillows; extra blankets.

I am so envious of people who know how to sew. I can barely sew a button on a shirt!

taniaben
02-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi there. I felt the same way and bought assorted fabrics for my baby's room long before I even knew I was pregnant(Call me crazy, but I couldn't resist the set of fabrics...I figured if not for me then for a sister or sister-in-law...). So far I have made only the crib comforter - I plan to use it when we go out to a park or when at home on the ground, etc. (safety issues about bulky comforters in cribs is a concern). But, I have cut out my pattern to make the crib skirt and bumber pads as well. Depending on how much fabric I have remaining, I'd like to use some of the printed fabric as an accent on plain curtains and maybe make a few seat cushions for the tops of two plain white toy chests that will be in the room. I bought a pattern from a fabric store which also has instructions for crib sheets, a diaper stacker, a memory board and a few other things. Have a look at your local fabric store to see what patterns they offer - mine was a Vogue pattern. Best advice, make whatever you always wanted in a baby room (safety issue in mind) and go from there. Good luck and congratulations.