PDA

View Full Version : Are mattress pads safe?

grelli2
02-11-2002, 09:53 PM
A couple of people have said that they were told not to use mattress pads because they are too soft (SIDS risk.) I was worried about staining the mattress. Are mattress pads unncessary because the mattress is waterproof?

suzska
02-12-2002, 12:47 AM
This was discussed ("are they necessary") a while ago. I think people are concerned about the thick, padded mattress pads, but you can buy more of a "mattress protector" mattress pad. The ones I have are flannel on one side and vinyl on the other, and rather thin. I have two so that one could be on the crib while the other is in the wash. There are ones that are flannel on both sides, but I like the "vinyl against vinyl" so that it wouldn't slip. Whether you use one or not is a matter of personal preference.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

algoan
03-25-2002, 01:58 PM
We were just putting sheets on our crib for the first time last night and noticed that the mattress pad made it impossible for the sheet to fit right and we were worried that the sheet would slip off. So we ditched the mattress pad. The mattress itself is covered in some sort of vinyl (or something) and looks easy to just wipe off if necessary, so that's what we're going with.

egoldber
03-25-2002, 07:03 PM
In general, mattress protectors are meant to go on top of, not under sheets. In this way, they are different from mattress pads. I have two mattress protectors that are similar to what Sue described above. Personally, I think they are invaluable, especially for those middle of the night accidents. No having to change the sheet. Just whip off the mattress protector and then put another one down.

I have also used mine when traveling and when putting the baby in our bed occasionally.

HTH,