PDA

View Full Version : Window Coverings for Nursery

Griggs505
03-02-2002, 11:40 PM
So, the nursery is coming along, but I'm stuck as to what to do about the window. We live in a very old house, so the window in the nursery is about 84" high and 42" wide and it faces roughly west. I can't decide between blinds or (heavy) curtains and I'm finding it difficult to find good sources for either where I live. I like some of the curtains in Pottery Barn Kids, but most of them aren't sufficiently heavy and they're quite expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to sources (online would probably be best) or whether they've had better luck with blinds (including the new cordless cellular types) or curtains.
Thanks.

suzska
03-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Yikes! That's a big window.

We still haven't decided what to put in my son's room, and he's almost a year old. Up until a few weeks ago I had cheap lacy things--I don't know how to describe them. They're supposed to be temporary window coverings, like for when you first move into a place and want a quick window covering. They're like a stiff lace that's folded back and forth, accordian-style. Anyway, we had them up with a tension rod and my son pulled them done, since the changing table is right below the window. We haven't gotten around to putting them back.

All of the other windows in our house (save the powder room--just haven't gotten to that room either) have wooden blinds (custom) from Smith and Noble. They tend to be a little pricey, I guess, especially with a window as big as the one you have. But I/we have been very happy with them, and they look beautiful! Here's the address:

http://www.smithandnoble.com/

For $5 they will send you up to 10 samples, and then you can get the $5 off of your order (over a certain amount?) if you order within 90 days.

If you join eBates, you can get 5% cashback on your order at Smith and Noble. Hope you don't mind, but here's a referal link if anyone wants to join (so I can get credit for the referal ;-):

http://www.ebates.com/[email protected] &refpageid=1

The only other place I can think of right now is Penney's. They have a pretty big selection of window coverings in their catalog, but I've never bought any from there.

And the only other thing I can think of is shutters, maybe mounted cafe-style if you don't mind some light coming through the window. Smith and Noble does sell custom shutters, but they're more expensive than the wooden blinds.

--Sue B.
SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

egoldber
03-03-2002, 10:47 AM
We have shutters in our nursery, but they were inherited from the previous homeowner (who also used that room as a nursery). This is the second house where where we've inherited shutters from a previous homeowner, and I must say I'm pretty fond of them. They are easy to open, aren't a safety hazard like blinds can be and darken a room without being "too" dark.

I don't know how much they are, but they are very nice.

HTH,

Rachels
03-05-2002, 11:26 AM
We recently ordered wood blinds from www.abwf.com (American Blind and Wallpaper Company). They can be custom made in almost any size and were very reasonably priced-- I comparison shopped quite a bit. They arrived very quickly and look beautiful in our baby's room. The website stocks all sorts of blinds, shades, cellular shades, shutters, etc, so you can almost certainly find something that works for you. Hope this helps!

alandenisefields
03-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards.

Couldn't help ourselves--we just had to put in our two cents.
We love our room darkening shades. Especially nice as our kids have gotten older since they block out that early morning sun and stay in bed a bit longer. We also find them useful in the summer when the sun is up so late. They don't give us much grief about going to bed at their regular time.

Then, you can add a valance to compliment your decor. Or, in our house with great old moulding around the window, we didn't bother and let the trim work impress people

A safety note: if you choose any coverings that require a cord, definitely shorten the cord and use a cleat (most manufacturers include them or you can buy them at hardware stores).

Hope that helps,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

akc
03-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Hi there -

Can't say too many times how much your book has been the bible for me & my hubby as we prepare for our first child. THANK YOU! So, I can't resist asking what exact kind of room darkening shades you have?

Also, our nursery has quarter moon windows that are are actually on either side of the crib (the arch out from the center of the roomand the effect is sort of a semi-circle around the crib), so do you have any ideas on what we can do? It is a dormer room on the 3rd floor (but with regular 8 foot ceilings) Our house is a hundred-years old, so I don't want to do anything really modern that looks weird (rest of my house is very traditional as will be the nursery - a Toyland toile and ginham fabrics in the bedding). I was trying to think of some creative way to drape fabric that we can drop when the baby is napping but pin up when he/she is awake? I don't want to cover up the architectual element b/c it's part of what makes the nursery so special, but otherwise, it will never be dark in there!

Always a challenge - thanks again! :)
Alexa