PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Blankets

joyjoy
04-21-2002, 10:10 PM
Does anyone have a favorite brand of blanket? You know, the type that becomes a child's favorite "blankie." I'd like to buy one for my second child.

emmiem
04-22-2002, 10:09 AM
My daughter loves the polartec material. It didn't matter what brand. We have one in her bed which came from BRU and one in the car which was a gift. Both are equally acceptable.

IansMom04
04-25-2002, 08:36 PM
We have a "blankie" bear by Boyd. It has the top of a bear and the bottom of a blankie..my son loves it

Shirale
04-26-2002, 12:51 PM
We have a "Bunny Belly" blanket from Lands End for our daughter- it is incredibly soft and she loves it! It is extra soft polartec- warm, yet thin. it comes in a bunch of colors and can be monogrammed!

akc
05-02-2002, 06:44 AM
Hi -

On recommendation from a friend w/a baby attached to her blanket, we got a "Blankie to Go" from Barefoot Dreams. It is small (only 14" x 18") but is perfect "clutch" size without dragging. Perfect for security blanket that you can fold up and take with you to the mall or traveling with out having a big blanket. And, it is only $20.

Best thing is that it is a really soft flannel on one side that is creamy to touch and then washable satin on the other which is SO nice to touch. Their daughter just rubs her fingers, feet, and face on her blankie all the time. It is really portable, totally washable. All of them are ivory colored flannel, but the satin comes in Ivory (we got this so we can bleach), Pink, Blue, Seaglass, Lilac, Navy, and Sand.

You can see it here (we didn't get from here, but I searched so that you could see picture of it):
http://www.ohbaby-online.com/ohbaby/blankets.asp
(Looks like there is a similar model that is bigger above it, we wanted small for packing in diaper bag)

And, the various colors here:
http://www.theroyalnursery.com/departments/baby-blankets/blanke-2-go.htm

Good luck!
akc

egoldber
05-02-2002, 08:45 AM
I would like to strongly recommend the suggestion to get your baby attached to a SMALL item. Someone gave us a "Lovie" which is basically a blanket with a stuffed animal head. She ADORES this thing and if it is in her arms, then sleeptime and naptime are a breeze. BUT it is quite big and we don't dare travel without it. I finally noticed that what she seemed to really like was the satin binding on the animal. I went to the fabric store, bought a remnant of polar fleece (about 12" x 12" ) and attached a satin binding. After a couple weeks of working at it, I have managed to get her as attached to the "little blankie" as she is to the big blankie. MUCH easier to travel with.

Also, once baby is attached to something, buy or make DUPLICATES. I have one in the crib, one in the car and the "little blankie" is in the diaper bag. This way whenever she seems fussy and it is close to naptime, I can give her a handy blankie and off to sleep she goes!! Also, heaven forbid, you should LOSE the attachment toy, you have another one. Sometimes items are discontinued and you can no longer buy a new one. A friend of mine's baby became attached to the Dreft bunny (a promo bunny they were attaching to bottles of Dreft for awhile) and when she went to find another one, they were GONE. No more bunnies. She tried other similar stuffed bunnies, but her baby wasn't fooled! A friend ended up "donating" their Dreft bunny to her, but for awhile she was frantic since her baby won't sleep without the bunny!!

HTH,

luvbeinmama
05-09-2002, 07:18 PM
DEFINITELY go for something small!!! My son loved his flannel blankets grandma made for him when he was born, but there came a time when I had to take them out of the crib because he had it twisted like a rope, and wrapped around his neck! So, out went the big flannel blankets! Instead, I went to the fabric store, let HIM pick out a nice colorful flannel print (he picked out a Mickey/Pluto pattern that I just CANNOT find any more). I bought 1/2 yard, cut it in half, overlocked the edges, and that became his "bankie". Fortunately, I made two... I wish I had made four. I wash one each week with the rest of the laundry, and give him the "clean bankie" for the next week. He knows this, and doesn't have a problem with it. You may also need to set limits on where "bankie" goes. My limit is the car. It can go into the car (although he usually leaves it at home), but cannot take in into a public place. I tell him, we have to leave it in the car so it doesn't get lost, and he can have it when we get back in the car. I actually use line that with most of his toys, and so it's not a big deal. Sometimes, he asked for the bankie in the car (like at night on the way home) and I did't have it, so I had to tell him it was at home. Now, he just says "bankie at home" in a kind of soulful voice, but he knows where it is, and that he'll have it when he gets home.

One problem a friend of mine has run into with the flannel / silky blankies is that the silky part has just disintegrated! Pretty much all that is left is the flannel!

ScrapNancy
05-17-2002, 11:35 PM
I definitely have to second the vote for the Bunny Belly Blanket! It is without a doubt the softest thing I have ever felt!

Nancy

LailaCa
05-26-2002, 10:43 PM
Where did you find that Boyd Blankie?