PDA

View Full Version : Removing bumper pads

sophiesmom
06-11-2002, 06:30 AM
DD just started pulling herself up to standing in her crib. Her crib is now on the lowest it can go. Should we take out the bumpers now, or do we have more time? The mattress pretty low right now, but I don't know if it's best to take them out, and be safe before the time she can really climb.

ErinP
06-17-2002, 11:26 PM
When our daughter started pulling up and standing in her crib (around 8 months) we decided to take off the bumpers before it was too late. (At this time she also started throwing her "bunny" overboard so we figured she'd try it next!) For the first few nights she would kick through the rails and get her leg stuck, but now she's learnt not to do that. I feel a lot better not having to worry about her using it as a stepping stone or pulling it off and getting tangled! Hope this helps!
Erin

sophiesmom
06-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks. Your posting is helpful, ironically after I posted, DD got her leg stuck (up to her thigh) between the slats (she was awake in her crib when it happened). She was really upset, so I ended up putting the bumper back on. After reading your post and a recent one on crib bumpers, I think I will take it back out again. She'll have to learn.... Thanks!

twins r fun
06-19-2002, 03:30 PM
They really do learn quickly not to get their limbs stuck. When I first took my bumpers off my twins were getting limbs stuck every time they were in their cribs. And my one son kept banging his head on the rails. I almost put the bumpers back on but within 1-2 weeks, they stopped getting stuck and Jacob stopped hitting his head.

Nicole