PDA

View Full Version : safe crib sheet with wedge & halo sacks & sleep positioners

NancyB
06-25-2002, 08:16 AM
has anyone tried this crib sheet with wedge and can give me an opinion? Also what about the halo sacks? or the sleep positioners? There is too much stuff out there an I am throughly confused, at least I have until October to sort it out. Thanks Nancyb

Momof3Labs
06-25-2002, 01:38 PM
I'm in a similar situation as you (due in October) but just wanted to say that I like the idea of the halo sacks but not the price. I found that the Carter's outlet had blanket sleepers (not with legs - with the long, rounded bottom) in a soft fleece for $3-5 each. The Carter's sleepers have sleeves, unlike the halo sacks, but heck, for that price, I could always cut them off if I don't like them!

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

ct
06-25-2002, 02:32 PM
I'm not familiar with the crib sheet, but I too used the Carter blanket sleepers and I really liked them. With regard to sleep positioners, though I know a lot of people who have used them and like them, I personally don't think they are necessary. My hospital recommends against them as they feel they can cause baby to overheat and may possibly contribute to SIDS. I simply rolled up receiving blankets and used them on either side of my baby from the waist down - works just as good without the danger of overheating baby from all the foam and plastic. Best of luck to you...

ct

daisymommy
06-25-2002, 05:41 PM
At my childbirth preparation class last night, we had a Pediatrician come speak to us in a Question & Answer session. He is from Fairfax Inova Hospital (here in Virginia) which has one of the nation's top neonatal wards. He has also been in practice for 30 years. This said, I trust his judgement. He told us that sleep positioners are VERY DANGEROUS! According to him, babies (as well as adult) lungs work best when our bodies are allowed to move freely--not when they are held in one position all night. He said babies may need to spit up, and cannot turn themselves reflexively if held in place by a sleep positioner. Also, when airflow is not what it should be, babies cannot move themselves at all (which I guess stimulates more oxygen flow.) His recommendation was just to let them sleep on their back, with enough clothes on to keep warm (without heavy covers), but not dressed too warm (which can also cause SIDS from overheating). One last note from the Doctor: Please give your baby 4-5 hours of "tummy time" daily to avoid that flat back of the head problem, to help baby develop chest, arm, and neck strength, as well as good head control. Babies without this much needed daily tummy time crawl and walk late, and are also more prone to SIDS. Why? Because when they do learn to roll over onto their tummy, they haven't learned to (nor have the neck strength to) pick their face up off the mattress or floor. They lay there helpless with their little face smooshed into the mattress/floor, and can suffocate. Hope this helps!

egoldber
06-25-2002, 07:15 PM
Amy, I DELIVERED at Inova Fairfax Hospital!!! What pediatrician was it? I can't speak highly enough of all the L&D people at Fairfax Hospital. Now my post-partum day nurse, that's another story!!

daisymommy
06-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Lori,
Great idea about the Carter's Sleepsack idea! I was just looking on ebay for a Halo sleepsack and couldn't find any (too pricey otherwise). Where is your Carter's outlet? I'm in Virginia, where we have one at Potomac Mills Mall (15 minutes from me). Where in the store do you find the blanket sleepers (was it recently?) I'm ready to go buy some in a larger size for this winter and cut off the sleeves, maybe zig-zag stitch around the arm hole to prevent fraying. Good Luck!

Momof3Labs
06-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Amy,

I found them at the Carter's outlet in Kenosha, WI about 2 months ago. They had some on the back wall for 70% off of $18 (the regular price), and then I found more on a rack of seconds for $3 each. The seconds had minor flaws - incorrectly printed design or a spot of dirt - nothing that an infant knows or cares about!

The great thing about the sizing is that they are kinda one-size-fits-all up to about 22 pounds. And with the style, the only thing that matters is the sleeve length - the sac can be too long and not be a problem. So, they should easily get us through the winter this year, and by next winter, Baby will be walking and will want PJs with legs.

Hope this helps!

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

denise1111
06-28-2002, 02:28 PM
We use 'StayPut' crib sheets. The designer is a mother who lost her 4mo. old baby to suffocation when he got tangled up in his crib sheet. Good Housekeeping did a safety test on crib sheets and these rated very safe. This sort of accident is not that uncommon. Their website is www.babysheets.com. I am very happy with ours. They fit the matresses (we have twins) perfectly, they wash well, and there is no chance for my babies to get tangled.
***Denise E***

denise1111
06-28-2002, 02:37 PM
This is the site for the safety test on crib sheets.
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/consumer/safety/articles/0,12873,284526_290084,00.html
***Denise E***

newbelly2002
06-30-2002, 11:27 AM
I just finished teaching up at Mason in Fairfax (and live down in C'ville). Amazing how many of us in the area there are. . .

I need to make my way up to Potomac Mills, are the outlets really that much of a reduction in price?

Paula
Due 8/7/02

daisymommy
07-03-2002, 09:43 AM
DH and I went to the Carter's outlet this weekend and they just put out their stock of sleep sacks (for fall/winter). They are so soft and fuzzy and cute! They were only $10.00 (I'm sure as the season goes by they'll be even cheaper, but I wanted them NOW! :D )Also, I found one on the "oops!" rack in teh back for $7.00 and couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. I'm not even sure if I will/need to cut off the arms. To answer your question "Newbelly", alot of the outlet stores have the same prices as in a regular mall. BUT some have great prices on merchandise that is currently in the regular stores for full price. Carters (50-70% off most merchandise), Old Navy (25, 50, 70% off), and GAP (25-50% off) are my favorites. There is also an Osh-Kosh outlet I hear is cheaper than regular retail, but not dirt cheap; just haven't checked it out yet. Come see POtomac Mills sometime! It takes 2 days to really get through the whole thing though!

valdivan
02-19-2004, 12:16 PM
There are also safety sheets made by www.sweetpeasheirlooms.com that are very similar in design except they snap at the closing end instead of velcro. The owner also makes her safety sheets for pack n plays and toddler beds! and they come in 100% cotton, or flannel or fleece and are wonderful. Just offering an alternative. Good luck and happy birthing :)

ann

toomanystrollers
02-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Wow - this is an old thread :) It's fun to see all the moms here who were expecting not too long ago!!

Jen in Chicago
02-20-2004, 06:33 PM
These are softer and lighter than the Carters sleep sacks. Just the Carters I thought was too little, and with a sleeper is too much. The fleece Halos are just right for us. The Carters on when Jude was a newborn was way too big and bunched up around his face.

I think sleeveless is important especially with an infant. When they get older (beyond the first size of Halo's small) I would be game for cheaper Carters.

You can find Halo sleep sacks 3 for $50 including shipping from SIDS Alliance (great organization! I love supporting them, and this is a fund raiser for them.) People have found them for cheaper on sale at Sears and BJ's, there are numerous postings on here.

I highly recommend 2 size small ones, then decide what you want for the next step when the baby is bigger and stronger. Shortly after Jude outgrew the small Halo he also outgrew the one size fits all Carters.

SIDS Alliance highly recommends these. I am loaning all of ours (small and mediums) to a friend who is having her second child after losing one to SIDS. Ironically, we were addicted to these before he passed away.

I am sad to think we won't be using the large Halos. Jude is crawling now, and these don't work to well for that.

So much to think about. I admit I can be very thrifty, but these are totally worth the money b/c of quality, construction, softness, durability and weight.