PDA

View Full Version : Proper tying of crib bumpers??

MichelleL
08-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Hi everybody!

We just put our crib set on and the bumper ties don't seem to be fitting right! Each end measures almost 8 inches long (the set is Noah's Ark by Lambs & Ivy sold at BRU) and we tried tying them several different ways but I'm not sure what is correct. (We have the Madison crib by Legacy/Childcraft) Are you supposed to criss-cross the ties on the posts and secure them on the outside or do you just tie them on the top rail of the crib? I'm thinking criss-cross on the posts since that is what the tag showed. But, here's the main reason I don't feel either one of them is working right...When you lower the side of the crib it pulls on the bumpers considerably and looks like the ties could end up tearing after a few times of doing this. The bumpers also bend considerably. There are only ties on the top I guess this could be why. Also the headpiece (I'm assuming that's what it is, it's a big piece with a cute picture on it) we put at the foot of the crib because the ends of our crib are solid and there is one tie in the center of it that has nothing to attach to. It attaches on the sides well so I figured it would be safer to have our ds's little feet at this end rather than his head.

Sorry this is so wordy but I just want to be sure I did this right. :) I really would appreciate any & ALL suggestions!! Are we totally off track with this? Is there some trick we don't seem to be getting? HELP!!
Also, before anyone says anything, I know there is lots of controversy about bumpers but we've decided we will go ahead with them for the first 6 months or so.

Thanks in advance! You guys are always so great with the advice!:D

Michelle L
due with DS 9-4-02

suzska
08-05-2002, 06:53 AM
Our crib doesn't have the solid ends and we don't have the "headpiece" so I can't help you with that part. But here's what I can tell you.

Our bumper had ties on the top and the bottom. I would just criss-cross these around the posts a few times (partly to take up the slack because mine were a little long, but I didn't feel like cutting them down) and then tie them. I think I tied them in a square knot. With the crib mattress in the highest position the bumpers will move down a bit when you lower the rail and you probably have to straighten them back out when you pull the rail back up. I think once the crib was in a lower position this didn't happen as much. It's only been a year, you'd think I could remember! Also, since we didn't have the end panels, the ties that ended up in the corners I would just wrap around the corner post and the post right next to it (on the rail that goes up and down).

I'm sure others here can offer you better advice, but that's my $0.02.

egoldber
08-05-2002, 11:00 AM
I had to experiment to figure out which posts to tie the bumber to so that it didn't interfere with the crib side going up and down. Depending on how your crib and its rails are constructed, it MAY not be possible to tie a bumper to that crib safely, so keep that in mind. If I were you, I would attach more ties to the bottom of the bumper. This would be very simple to do and the bumper would fit the crib much more securely. I also used a bumper, but I would only use a bumper that fit my crib tightly and securely.

HTH,