PDA

View Full Version : Blanket/Play Mat

kmty
08-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I've noticed a lot of parents carrying around some thin blankets when they go to friend's houses. They seem to thin to be a comforter from the crib sets, but are thinking than a regular crib sheet. I was interested in having one for when we go to friend's houses or maybe for any tummy time.

Does anyone know what they are called or where I would get them?

Thanks.

- Kathy

brubeck
08-19-2002, 03:54 PM
I had a couple of thin receiving blankets (bigger than most) from Carters. They come in a 3 pack. However the one I used for playtime was a gift that was purchased at Gymboree. I think it was pretty pricey, but it was good quality and very large compared to a receiving blanket. My daughter (21 months) still uses it now in her bed as her nighttime blanket.

egoldber
08-19-2002, 04:17 PM
I agree that the Carter's waffle knit receiving type blankets are too thin for "playtime". But Carter's also makes thicker cotton interlock receiving blankets which are nice for playtime. They usually match their John Lennon and Just One Year lines.

I have also seen nice ones at Gymboree and BabyGap. Department stores also often carry these. Check out Macy's and Lord&Taylor type stores in the baby section.

HTH,

suzska
08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
I have a pretty nice one from Target that was a gift. It's two layers of knit fabric, so it's thicker and heavier than the Carter's flannel ones.

But the one that we used for "tummy time" was made by a friend/former co-worker. She took a large piece of fleece and a large piece of flannel and stitched them together with blanket binding and just stitched a big "X" through the middle to keep them from shifting a bit. She didn't have time to make a "real" quilt. Of course it is much larger than a receiving blanket.

ct
08-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I keep a huge beach towel (big enough for 2 adults) in my car. I can use it at friend's homes, outside, wherever and never have to worry about it getting dirty, ripping, etc. as it is sturdier than a blanket. Plus, it is thicker than most blankets. I just throw it in the wash after each use. It has come in real handy. Good luck to you...

ct

suzska
08-22-2002, 05:03 PM
This made me think of the "Neat Sheet" things that are out now. We got a couple around 4th of July and took them to an outdoor symphony concert. They look like they're made out of the same material as "Little Swimmers" swimpants (at least they're the same colors), but the "Neat Sheets" are washable. When Target got more in stock and they were on sale again I picked up a couple more. I plan to put one on each car for whenever we might need something like that. I just haven't done it yet.

Melanie
08-23-2002, 11:42 AM
We have a ton of thick baby blankets (mostly from when I was a baby) and we used those. Some are knitted, crocheted, or just quilted. I also used a thinner woven one from Carter's. If they are on carpet or grass, the thickness isn't all that important. I have also used a fleece one that is thicker and doubled it.

What I saw that was perfect and I didn't ask where she got it, someone had a fleece one, that had some sort of doubling around the edge to make like a little "wall" and it was waterproof on the bottom! I wish I would have found that to use instead of a sheepskin for my son (we're allergic to wool).

Anyway, they're useless once they start to crawl. =)

Mommy to Jonah