PDA

View Full Version : Cottontale bedding - No bumper ties on bottom

MyFirstBaby
08-29-2002, 12:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments on this: I love the Cottontale bedding - the quality is excellent. The problem, however, is that the bumper only has ties for the topside, not the bottom.
Is this really a concern (for the baby to 'roll' underneath it') and what can be done to rectify the problem. Considering that Cottontale got such good ratings, I'm surprised that they didn't come with secure ties on both the top and bottom of the bumper. One friend suggested sewing shoelaces on the bottom which she had to do for her bedding (not Cottontale) where the ties broke off. She said the shoelaces were actually stronger than the original ties.

I have the bumper on right now and it appears really tight and overall snug in most spots. Your comments are appreciated! Thanks.

cara1
08-29-2002, 02:55 PM
See my comment a few posts down on koala baby bedding. DS still (almost 7mos) gets his legs stuck in the slats under the bumper. And the other day, I noticed a black-and-blue on his knee; can't think of where else he would've gotten it. But in terms of getting underneath and having a suffocation problem, I'm not so worried. By the time the baby can shimmy over there, they can probably shimmy away, too. And really, just how much are you willing to shell out for a stupid bumper? I did see something on one of those babyproofing/safety websites that was a clear plastic/plexiglass thing that attaches to the OUTSIDE of the crib to protect the leg-through-the-slat thing. Can't remember where I saw it, but thought it was a neat idea.

Momof3Labs
08-29-2002, 08:18 PM
It makes sense to me to sew additional ties on the bumper. I don't see why you shouldn't do that.

angusmom
08-30-2002, 02:33 PM
Bottom bumper ties are a raging debate in the juvenile industry. JPMA and most of the reputable bedding manufacturers have reviewed lots of data and legal implications of top vs. bottom ties, and settled on the side of no bottom ties.

The reason is that if your baby were to get stuck under the bumper, bottom ties may prevent him from being about the get out, which can create a much more dangerous situation. With no ties on the bottom of the bumper, baby may be able to get under there, but will be in less danger (to a degree) than if the bumper is tied down and Baby can't get out.

Note that Cotton Tale has introduced a new bumper/bedding system this year called, Safe and Sound, that eliminates the need for bottom ties while at the same time holding the bumper very securely in the crib and preventing baby almost 100& from being able to get under the bumper. You can see some information oon Safe & Sound at:
http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/cot/cot80099.html
(look for the link to the Adobe Acrobat PDF)

Also, if you are going to sew your own bottom ties to your bumper, please be aware of the length of the ties you sew on. Don't sew on anything too long, or you may create a dangerous entanglement hazard - Baby could inadvertently get the ties wrapped around her neck or one of her limbs.

Also, obviously, if your baby is very active and at the stage where he is pulling up and standing up in the crib and moving around a lot, it may be time to remove the bumper altogether, primarily to prevent it being used as a step for climbing/falling out.

Hope this is some useful info for you. Good luck!