PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making there own crib bedding??

jmaren
08-30-2002, 10:55 AM
I can't find much that I like out there in bedding, and don't want to spend a fortune. Is anyone making their own bumper, skirt etc?? Any info on how to get started would be great.

Thanks
Janel

corky
08-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi
I'm going to try and make my own crib skirt and bumper. I like the tailored look rather then lots of ruffles. t's very easy since it's all going to be straight seams. I have already picked out the fabric and you can get a pattern from any of the pattern companies. I saw one in vogue that was quite nice. There are also seamstresses that would be willing to do the sewing for you and it can be relatively inexpensive. This way you can ensure the quality of the bedding and personalize it.

Good Luck
Corky

JMarie
08-30-2002, 04:21 PM
I am making my entire set - quilt, bumper, skirt, sheets, etc. - and am using a combination of patterns from Butterick, McCalls, and Simplicity. My husband wants a baseball nursery if we're having a boy, and I just can't justify the prices that The Company Store wants to charge for their pieces. I would suggest first going to a fabric store (JoAnn's or Hancocks, or a quilting store) and decide what type of nursery you want. The former two stores carry both traditional character-type nursery fabrics as well as the calicos for your own design. They also usually have employees who can really help out with fabric selection and layout of your pattern. I do have to warn you - the bumpers are a PAIN to make! I made a set for my sister last year and only the bumpers were difficult. You can also make the sheets cut to fit your mattress PERFECTLY - it takes about 2.25 yards of fabric, wash it on the hottest setting allowed and dry the same, and then just pin it inside-out over your mattress. Make sure it's at least an inch longer than the mattress depth and just sew the corners, roll the bottom, and thread elastic - perfect sheets! My sister said she never had a problem with shrinkage. Good luck!

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

egoldber
08-30-2002, 06:30 PM
An idea I have seen for making the bumpers easier to make is to buy a REALLY cheap bumper and to just recover it. The bumper can be in the most hideous pattern available at TJ Maxx or wherever. As long as you don't use a really pale fabric to cover a really dark fabric, it should be just fine. This is supposed to be much easier than making your own bumper "from scratch".

HTH,

jboyko
09-08-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi-

I thought about making my own crib set, but I ended up buying a bumper and sheets from the Eddie Bauer Outlet. I did make a crib skirt to go with them though. While exploring my options, I did come across a product by Poly-Fil that is specifically Bumper Batting. I haven't seen this many places, maybe it's more common than I think, but if your interested, I found it in the Better Homes and Gardens Quilting Catalog.

You can find it on-line at http://www.shopquiltvillage.com/product.asp?sku=KB840580&id=02205248681001181343835

Hope this helps.
Janet

egoldber
09-09-2002, 09:27 PM
Now that you write this, I remember seeing this at my local Hancock Fabric store.

HTH,

JMarie
09-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Really, at Hancocks? I looked at the stores in the NW Chicago suburbs and couldn't find it anywhere! Maybe I'll have to see if they can order it. I just think it might be cheaper than buying pre-made bumpers and covering them.

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

egoldber
09-09-2002, 09:52 PM
I've seen bumpers really cheap, $10-$15. Ugly and/or discontinued patterns in the bargain bin at BRU, Target, Baby Depot and routinely at Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. You can also get these at consignment stores and flea markets. Just wash them really well and cover them.

I saw that at Hancocks back where the pillow forms and quilt batting is kept.

HTH,

mama2be
09-10-2002, 12:53 PM
I'm making mine too...

I actually am having a friend make it, but I have a round crib and also could not pick anything. My round crib does not have a canopy (though I wanted one), I bought it used, good price and probably should have kept looking for what I wanted.

I am using a perwinkle diopoini (sp???) silk which looks tres rich for the ruffle and to hang from a round frame that will be connected to the ceiling (my canopy :))...I got the fabric at a discount place at a good 1/3rd of what I would have spent (couldn't have afforded) if not.

I don't think that I will have a comforter because I bought this cute stuffed animal blanket thing that is a purple tiger with a perwinkle nose...he takes up the mattress, and with all of the SIDS literature saying avoid comforters I will just remove him during sleep.