PDA

View Full Version : Navy Mom-to-Be Decor dilemma

Ejudy
10-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi! I am new to this site. I am expecting our first child in February and we have chosen not to find out the sex of our future child. Here is my dilemma... My husband is a pilot in the Navy and we will find out in December whether we will be staying here in Norfolk, VA or relocating to California for his next duty station. We are currently renting and are prohibited from even putting up curtains in our historic home and if it turns out that we stay here in Norfolk, we may receive base housing in January if we are lucky (we have been on the list since we arrived last November and I don't see us purchasing a home and having a baby in the same two-three month period). So I am stuck trying to plan for a nursery for a boy or a girl without even knowing where we are going to be living. :*

Caroline99
10-14-2002, 10:50 AM
What is the dilemma part?

We're also not finding out the sex of our future baby, although we don't have the problems of moving that close to the end of the pregnancy as well. We moved in my 4th month.

Anyway, I've chosen a theme that is gender-neutral, although I have not started choosing exact colors or buying things. I guess the easiest thing to do for you would be to plan the design in your head -- what colors you want, furniture, etc. -- and keep a folder with paint and fabric swatches and a list of items you'd like to get. Whenever you move, the decisions will already be made and you can just get the stuff and get decorating.

Caroline

P.S. I'm not sure what the issue is with putting up curtains, but if it's a drill/nail hole issue, you can get around that by using a tension rod within the window frame.

m2tandk
10-14-2002, 01:49 PM
The Carters John Lennon "Real Love" collection is gender neutral and has lots of cute accessories! Mobile, book ends, picture frames. Very cute!

Kelly

Ejudy
10-15-2002, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your responses! The last few days it hit me that our family will probably be moving about the time of the birth and I was getting a little freaked out.

raynjen
12-24-2002, 01:49 AM
Hey, my husband is in the Air Force so I know how you feel. Moving around a lot, and more to the point - the uncertainty, can really get you down. First of all, take a deep breath - it WILL work out. Finding a gender neutral set isn't too hard. Another option is to buy a fairly neutral color sheet set and then purchase accesories after you know the gender and room (i.e. buy froggy stuff to go with your green sheets for a boy, or flower stuff for a girl). After all, you won't be using a comforter for the baby any time soon.

Good luck, take care,
Jen
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Ejudy
12-28-2002, 02:37 PM
Thanks! Wow, things were a lot simpler when I originally started this post. Actually, I chose a blue/yellow celestial theme and though we aren't moving for 2 more weeks (we received base housing and have to accept it if we want it), that is not what I am worried about at the moment.

It turns out that my husband may be deployed with the next carrier leaving Jan 5th (he'd join them later) or one that is rumored to deploy at the end of Jan. He just finished flight training on his aircraft and carrier qualified a couple weeks ago, his current squadron is just being sorta slow assigning him and his class to thier respective fleet squadrons. In either case, the chances are high that he will not be here for the delivery. I am lucky to have a great support system and I know it is not ideal, but as a military wife it's part of the lifestyle. It seems like decorating is low on my list of things to be concerned about these days.

mama2be
12-28-2002, 04:01 PM
thoughts are with you and all of our military families...we're all here for you if you need us!!!