PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Pads: I don't get it

dogmom
10-17-2002, 11:00 AM
I need some help here. Everyone keeps telling me I need bumper pads because the baby might hit his head on the rails or stick his arm through. I look at bumper pads and just think "smother, smother, smother." Now, I'm a nurse and I always look at the worst case scenario, but I just don't feel comfortable with bumper pads. I know they don't use them for those large metal scary cribs in the pediatric ward. Here's my questions.
1) How do they actually keep a baby from sticking his arm/leg through? They are not firmly attached at every rail, so a limb can easily still get under. And if an arm gets caught, so? I assume if it's a problem there will be some screaming and some parental intervention.
2) How much momentum can a baby build up with his head? I mean, I understand they creep around the crib and can bump against the side. To really slam his head against the rails and cause any damage he would have to be bigger, have more coordination, stand-up, etc. At that point, you are supposed to take the bumper out, aren't you?

Sorry about my confusion, it just seems like my friends/relatives are horrified that I don't want a bumper. Somehow they think that my baby will break his arm if he sticks it through the slats then moves.

m2tandk
10-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Its really up to you. I always used them, and will again mostly because I like the look it creates in the crib with the coordinated bedding. My two kids never really rolled enough to get anywhere near putting their limbs through the slats or bump their heads. I think its totally an individual decision.

Kelly

alandenisefields
10-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards!

Great question. In fact, this is one of the obstacles to getting manufacturers to agree on bedding standards.

We agree wholeheartedly with your take on it. Babies DON'T crash into the sides. And while some do get their arms and legs caught, this usually happens when they are bigger and the bumpers are supposed to be removed anyway. Ultimately, the cynics in us think that bedding manufacturers just want to sell parents another "cute" bedding item.

If you do end up with bumpers we encourage you to use those with ties on both top and bottom or add ties to both top and bottom if you can't find them.

Hope that helps,

best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

cara1
10-17-2002, 02:00 PM
I agree with you in principle, and our family was horrified at us not buying bumpers. He does move around a lot, but never really banged his head. However, when he was only 3-4 months old, he was mobile enough to jam his leg in there. Sometimes there were horrible screams. Sometimes there weren't. That's what scared me more. DH and I actually had trouble getting his leg out (it was wedged in up to his thigh!). Since he didn't always scream, we didn't know if it would happen in the middle of the night, or when I was showering. At that point, I broke down and got bumpers. Ours are flimsy, ties on only one side, so he does sometimes squeak a limb out underneath, but not as much as before. Why not just wait and see? If you're baby is not a "mover", you may not need them.

jojo2324
10-17-2002, 02:12 PM
We have used bumper pads in DS's crib (they came in a crib set). Until recently, I was not too keen on them, but too lazy to do anything about it. The mobile we use is big, and the bumper is in the way of it. Also, his crib is in our room and I can't see him at night when we are in bed. I have to get up to check on him, not a big deal at all, but I also just don't like not having a good view of him while he sleeps.

However, in the last week he has become quite mobile. (He is 3.5 months.) Sometimes while he sleeps he does these weird leg kicks (almost like stomach crunches....definitely didn't get that from mama); as a result he moves quite quickly from one end of the crib to the next. Also, I have let him cry. (I know, I know. I'm just trying to eat one meal a month with DH without a screaming baby on my knee!) After about ten minutes of him crying, I'll go check and find him wedged in the corner of the crib. For this I don't mind the bumper because while he's not crashing into the sides, it definitely wouldn't be comfortable to have one's head stuck in a corner. Also, he kind of moves his legs up and down, which causes him to keep bumping his head. And it's not like he can move away from the side, only to it.

Anyway, just my two cents!

brubeck
10-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Soime babies just like to snuggle into the corner. My parents told me that when I was a baby I would wiggle around the crib until my head was in the corner and rub it there all night. I guess it was a comfort thing. I had a small bald spot and everything. Eventually of course I grew out of it (unless that's why I still get headaches at night... :-) )

Obviously with a bumper there it's softer on baby's head. But I still don't think it's mandatory. I will admit to having one though.

And this isn't just a weird story about me. My friend had a baby girl who liked to put her head up against the bumper and also had a bald spot for the first 3 or 4 months.

Rachels
11-07-2002, 11:04 AM
LOL! Abigail has a bald spot from rubbing her head back and forth on the mattress when she's first waking up. I always thought bald spots looked funny in babies. But now I see her little bald spot (and she otherwise has a lot of hair), and think it's unbelievably cute.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ElijahRsMom
11-08-2002, 06:21 PM
We had DS in a co-sleeper until 5 months, but when we moved him into the crib, we did use the bumper pads. We took them out recently (DS is now 6 1/2 months old).

It doesn't seem like you need them for the first few months, when they can't roll over or move around much anyway. Actually, I want to put them back. He can build up some momentum when he accidentally rolls over from a half-sitting position. He's hit his head once or twice and not been happy about it.

Does anyone know what the guidelines are for when you need to remove them? While our little guy is becoming stronger & more mobile, I don't see how he could use the pads to climb out of the crib, at least not yet anyway.

luvbeinmama
11-10-2002, 06:49 PM
I never used them. DS got his leg stuck only once, and it was easily removed. I also had the same thoughts about smothering. Once DS started creeping up the bed, I would start him out at the bottom and he would inch up, but usually not all the way to the top. We had no problems for lack of bumpers. Personally, I would do without unless something the baby does makes it necessary. And, yes, you are supposed to remove them as soon as the baby can pull up to standing position. HTH!

brubeck
11-10-2002, 09:22 PM
You are supposed to remove them as soon as the baby can get into a sitting position on their own (this is alos the time to lower the crib mattress to the middle position). The reason is that if you leave the bumpers in the baby can start climbing on them as a way to get out of the crib.

ecarley
11-12-2002, 02:37 PM
No bumpers here. I actually had them, put them on, and decided to return them. They made no sense to me from a safety or aesthetic standpoint. Even the Consumer Products Safety Commission shows a safe sleeping environment without them. Take a look at their info here: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5049.html

If your family will be horrified, let them be horrified. Follow your instincts!

ChicagoDad
11-12-2002, 11:15 PM
My DS is 10months and we have left our bumper pads in the crib because he uses to snuggle up against at night. He also lounges on it; like last night he was lying on his back with one leg hanging on to the bumper sort of like some adults do with sofa arms. I think he knows not to climb on it to get out of the crib since he uses for other purposes while he sleeps!