PDA

View Full Version : More mattress pad q's

bholzm1
10-17-2002, 08:29 PM
The wife (33 weeks) and I are trying to figure out if we need a mattress pad, and if so, what type to buy. So far we've bought a vinyl zip-around protector for the mattress itself and crib sheets.

Thoughts?

- B

suzska
10-17-2002, 09:28 PM
I guess some people like them. I didn't bother with one. I just put a waterproof pad (vinyl on one side, flannel on the other) underneath the regular crib sheet. I have two of them so that one could be in the wash while the other's on the crib (actually I have a third from Carter's that is flannel on both sides, but we ended up keeping that in our room for the times that we practiced "accidental" co-sleeping--I just folded it in half and put it between me and DH).

We have a Lands' End mattress pad on our own bed, but I couldn't see spending money on one for my son. And being a first-time parent, I was a little concerned about SIDS and the "puffiness" of the mattress pad. I don't think my son misses any "comfort" benefit he would get from a mattress pad--he would sleep on the floor if we let him. :-)

I know this has been discussed here before, but I'm too tired right now to find the link. ;-)

lesliepear
10-28-2002, 08:03 PM
I bought one of those also and 2 extra crib sheets.

But I ended up putting a flannel waterproof pad or the puffy waterproof type on top of the sheets after having to change the sheets in the middle of the night - its hard to undo the bumper pads and redo them.

(I have a washing machine I have to pay for in my condo which is shut off at night, so I have to have extra stuff for accidents..)

luvbeinmama
10-30-2002, 03:09 PM
I also bought the mattress protector and sheets. I do have a mattress pad (not waterproof or anything). I guess I thought it better than having sheet on top of vinyl. The apparent over-poofiness goes away once the baby sleeps on it for a night anyway, so no worries there. I have 2 crib-size waterproof pads that I put on top of the sheet early on (no changing crib sheets in the middle of the night, just the pad. Once DS stopped spitting up so much at night, though, those were unnecessary, and I still use sheet & mattress pad over the vinyl mattress cover.