PDA

View Full Version : Blankets

mommychic
10-21-2002, 09:25 PM
How many blankets do you REALLY need?? What exactly is a "receiving blanket"? Is it somewhat of an "all purpose" blanket/burp cloth?

I remember my mom having the Carter's flannel 4 pack blankets when I was baby (actually she saved me one :)) My girlfriends are registering for ridiculous amounts of blankets in chenille, flannel, fleece, thermal, cotton and whatever other fabrics BRU is selling.

Confused!
Lisa

suzska
10-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Hmmm...I have the flannel four pack (Gerber?), two Carter's jersey knit ones (which are larger than the flannel ones, and very nice IMO), one fleece (blue with clouds--we actually used this as the background for Evan's hospital photo), one other flannel type that was a shower gift (it's also larger than the usual ones, but since it was a gift, I don't know who made it), and another double-layer jersey knit one from Target (also a gift). I also bought two crib blankets from Target that are an open-weave, knitted-type (Evan would always kick out of the receiving blankets, so I got these to tuck around his crib mattress). I think that's all. We've used them for a variety of things. Right now they're more of furniture protectors and snuggle blankets. The larger ones work better for swaddling a newborn. For burp cloths we have two dozen cloth diapers (yes, we used that many because Evan had reflux).

I guess most of mine were gifts, and I don't think I registered for any--people just go ahead and buy them. Or I should say, people bought different ones from the ones I had registered for. You probably REALLY only need 2-4 until you see how you might use them more or find out you want a different kind.

nigele
10-22-2002, 03:33 PM
A receiving blanket is used to swaddle the baby when he is newborn - it is meant to mimic the feeling of being in the womb - warm and snug. My son loves to be swaddled and we have four receiving blankets. I have to stop using them soon since he kicks them off when he wakes up anyway.

I thought I went overboard making DS three quilts in addition to the crib quilt from the set I bought, two fleece blankets I received as gifts, a cotton Carter's blanket I bought and a waffle-knit I received as a gift. I have used each one several times. I keep one in the car for mall trips, two or three downstairs, since one always seems to get dirty, one in my room, two in his room. I don't necessarily use the blankets to cover DS, but rather to put him down on the floor to play, for tummy time, etc.

Lisa

egoldber
10-22-2002, 06:26 PM
I bought a couple and then got a boatload (maybe a dozen?) as hand-me-downs from a cousin of DH's. They were assorted shapes and sizes of various fabrics (flannel, cotton, fleece, etc.). I thought I would never use that many, but I really did.

The larger ones are nice to use for swaddling and as blankets for the carseat and the stroller. I also used rolled up blankets as "sleep positioners" in the crib, since Sarah had a tendency to want to roll onto her side. I also used rolled up blankets to support her head in the carseat for awhile. Some thicker, nicer ones are nice for tummy time, and if you go to mommy groups, playgroups, etc.

You use a lot because they get dirty. Spit-up, diaper leaks, bottle spills, etc. Babies are messy!!! :)

HTH,

mamahill
10-23-2002, 12:20 AM
I didn't register for any and only have 1 store-bought, the rest are all made (two pieces of flannel surged together, then crocheted around the outside). I love the flannel sewn ones because they are really large (42" square, or something like that). I've known toddlers who continue using these blankets for years. My mom also made a really nice pieced quilt, but it's just for show for now, until DD gets into a "real" bed. I have 9 or 10 blankets, I think. Once all but one was in the laundry, but it usually isn't that bad. I like to coordinate the outfits with the blankets, and it's always nice to have an extra for the uses Beth talked about.

I just remembered that I have a second store-bought, but it is a white one my sister bought in Bethlehem for my first baby's blessing, so it is more of a special occasion blanket.

parkersmama
10-23-2002, 09:32 AM
I ended up with tons of those flannel blankets and really didn't use them that much. You probably need a few (maybe 4 or 5??) but they aren't that warm so if you live in a cold climate, you'll definitely need something heavier. Fleece blankets are nice, especially to use in the car as a coverup. Quilts are especially good for putting on the floor for baby to play on or lie on while you entertain. But, I'd have to say that after two kids, my very favorite blankets are the cotton ones from Gymboree. Yes, they are pricey at $22 each but they are completely worth it! Plus, they go on sale frequently for a better price (around $15). I have often given these as gifts and know lots of moms who have used them and I've never heard a bad word about them! Get at least one and try it out...I promise you'll love it! BTW, my kids did use them into toddlerhood for multiple purposes so that money was well spent after all. :-)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 due 4/29/2003

mommychic
10-23-2002, 05:34 PM
http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1078273&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=990261&bmUID=1035413453107

Is this the Gymboree blanket your referring too??

Lisa

m2tandk
10-24-2002, 11:05 AM
I went through lost of blankets with my two kids. At least 2 per day. AND, I would find sometimes I would misplace them or they would get forgotten at the mall or knocked outta the stroller sometimes by my little ones. So, I wanted(and bought) quite a few. In the beginning I had about 6 blankets. Most were the receiving type(Carters sells a 3 pack, I think). I had one that was made by a family friend in all pastel colors,and a couple more velour type too. And, yes, I used whatever I could get my hands on for a burp cloth sometimes! Which meant if a receiving blanket was nearby, I used it!

Kelly