PDA

View Full Version : Sage Cream Bedding

newbelly2002
11-22-2002, 02:23 AM
Okay, so we finally bought a crib. And now I have spent the last 2 weeks desperately looking for some bedding. Nothing fancy, just something to match/accent. No luck.

The crib is antique white with sage accents (a grey/green of sorts). I would ideally like bedding that would have that shade of green. Any suggestions? I can order it from the states since my parents are coming over in a few weeks.

TIA!
Paula

egoldber
11-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Have you tired The Company Store? They have a crib bedding line that includes a pale green color. From the website it looks sage-like, but you want to order a swatch.

Also, did you buy the crib in Europe? If so, check that European and US crib sizes are the same, otherwise you may have trouble. My in-laws have this trouble with an Italian bed they bought.

HTH,

gour0
11-22-2002, 10:04 AM
My MIL bought me a sage/offwhite crib set from JC Penney's. It is made by Little Arizona jean company. The bumpers are sage and offwhite stripes and the sheets are sage with paisleys. The quilt is sage/ofwhite/blue/maroon, and beige. I'm not sure if it is still available, but your parents could ask. Catalog number was 341 5400 0000.

Koala Baby has something they call sage, but looks more minty. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005BT3M/qid=1037975323/br=1-5/ref=br_lf_ba_5//103-6463686-5874205?v=glance&s=baby&n=886692

Onefinebaby has an expensive set called central park sage.

http://www.onefinebaby.com/centralpark.html

nursery rhymes has soemthing called antique blocks sage, but it looks a little dark.

http://www.nurseryrhymes.com/accants.html

If you do a search for sage crib bedding it should give you a long list of options. Good luck!

mbutler
11-22-2002, 11:41 AM
CottonTale makes a set called Sandpiper.

http://www.cottontaledesigns.com/catalog/fullimage/sandpiper.htm

They are a wonderful company and make a very good, quality product. Their founder/designer, Nina Selby, is a very nice person and will actually answer your design questions personally when you send it to the email address provided at their website.

Michael

gour0
11-22-2002, 12:51 PM
That's really nice! do you know how much?

mbutler
11-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Many baby stores should carry it. If you live in the SF Bay Area, a great store is Kiddie World Furniture in Campbell. Many webstores also carry it. Your best bet is to do a web search for Sandpiper and compare prices. Their "safe and sound" version (which is the way to go) is around $180 for the 3 piece (sheet, bumper, and skirt) and $275 for the 4 piece (adds the comforter). I have personally found the comforter to be a waste of money (unless you plan to hang it on the wall) because your baby should not be sleeping with it anyway.

Michael

Rachels
11-22-2002, 10:10 PM
Check out www.babybedding.com. They have nice stuff and will send free swatches of their fabrics so you can match colors.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
11-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much for all the advice!! I never thought to do a web search using the color as a key word.

Paula

marit
11-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Dear mbutler,

Since you mentioned the Safe and Sound system, I was wondering did you see it anywhere? Does it make sense? Can you use their bumper with Land's End fitted sheet?

Thanks,
Marit

biggster
11-24-2002, 11:23 AM
I have a children's store in Chatham, NJ called Bibi's Babywear. I currently have in stock a Shabby Chic set in green sage, also have an Amy Coe sage green toile bumper and asge green stripe dust ruffle in stock. Both have matching sheets, blankets, etc. E-mail if you would like more info or call 973-635-4300

Kimeberly

mbutler
11-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Marit,

We actually have the Safe and Sound system and I think it is worth it. The key piece is the bumper which has ties on the top and then has a special sheet attached to the bottom of the bumper which the mattress sets on. That way there is no gap between the bumper and the mattress...great idea! You can use any sheet with the system as the mattress is still an independent piece. They tout their sheet because it is supposed to have more fabric underneath, but I think that any well made fitted sheet would work fine. By the way, the fabric that will show from the side of the crib is the bumper and the coordinating piece of fabric that goes under the mattress. The sheet will not actually be seen from the side (only from the top), so it is not necessary for it to be too fancy or match exactly.

Here is an example from BabyCenter http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/patterned_bedding/classic_simple/natural_safe_sound/6301?_tp_EC=webcap_text&_tp_ESC=2830 . The fabric you see between the bumper and the skirt is actually attached to the bumper and is not attached to the mattress (it just wraps around the sides and bottom.

Hope this makes sense!

Michael

Chrissy K
11-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Paula,
I was looking for the same thing and although the Company store bedding is a good price, the light green is in fact a very bright apple. Not even close to sage.
Pottery Barn Kids ginghams/percale are much closer to sage and can be ordered on line too.
Good Luck.

marit
11-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Dear Michael,

Thanks so much for you detailed answer. I actually ordered a set online, I'm supposed to get it next week.

Marit

newbelly2002
12-17-2002, 04:21 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, and offers of help.

I finally--after much debate--decided to go with the Cotton Tale sandpiper. I wanted something "transferrable" to either a boy or girl (always thinking ahead!) that would match the crib but not be too cutesy.

I had it sent to my parents and just saw it IRL yesterday when they arrived. Yeah! It matches perfectly and since I only ordered the coverlet (for when he's playing in there with his crib toys) and ruffle which made it afordable. The material is all cotton and feels wonderful to the touch. I decided against the bumper since DS is already 4.5 months old and I'd be taking it out soon anyway, and I already have cream colored sheets (besides, the European and American crib sizes are VERY different. Thanks, Beth!). All in all, one happy customer.

The third week of visitors, however, is a different story. . .
Paula

amita
12-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Michael (or anyone with the Safe and Sound system)

We saw this in the store and it seemed quite practical from a safety standpoint. But how easy is it to place the mattress in the crib when the bumper has already been placed? It seems like a tight fit and potentially struggle to get the mattress in due to interference from the bumpers. The baby store we went to does not have any on display or in stock. In fact, the store owner told us no customer has even ordered it in the past 6 months. And if we order it and don't like it, we're stuck with it.

Thanks

mbutler
12-25-2002, 07:22 PM
The tightness was the only complaint that I had about this system. Though from a safety point of view, it is a good thing. It is VERY tight and getting the mattress out can be a struggle, but I think that would be true of any thickly padded bumper. What we plan to do is to layer 2 or 3 sheets with top-only waterproof mattress pads sandwiched between. When there is an accident we only have to tear off one sheet and pad and there will be another already in place. That way, we are not fighting the bumper and pad in the middle of the night or at an inconvenient time.

Michael