PDA

View Full Version : Glenna Jean Serengetti Bedding

cchavez
12-01-2002, 07:08 PM
DH and I really love this bedding! We are having a boy so we think the jungle theme will look great in the nursery. However, Glena Jean recieved a B- in the Baby Bargain book and the bedding is a cotton/poly blend. You would think for 400.00 is would be 100% cotton. However, I probably will purchase other sheets that coordinate w/ the bedding that are 100% cotton. Can anyone can be feedback about this set or manufacturer (GJ)?

I have gone to so many baby stores/boutique and looked at everthing even custom bedding and more expesive brands like Wendy Bellisimo and this is the only bedding I love. Thanks.

angusmom
12-01-2002, 10:53 PM
I have a friend with the Serengetti set and it's beautiful. The quality is excellent. I believe it's not 100% cotton because of the nature of the fabrics - they're a very rich, silky, embroidered kind of thing. I think you can request swatches from Glenna Jean if you call them (I couldn't find a number online - they seem to have a domain name but no actual web site at their address). There is also a site called babysupermall.com that has a fabric swatch service. They used to sell Glenna Jean, and then they stopped for a while. I think they sell it again now so maybe they can help you if you need to see the fabrics in person if you haven't seen it in a store.

I think from what I have read on the boards glenna jean's biggest problem is their speed of delivery. Unless you find a stocking retailer be prepared to wait a few weeks, maybe up to eight or 10 weeks at the minimum, because they are slow as molasses in winter.

But the bedding is beautiful. No question there! Good luck!

mama2be
12-02-2002, 10:32 AM
I want to see...I want to see...do you have a picture to share????

cchavez
12-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.caro.net/bedmania/products/sereng.htm

So, far this is the cheapest price I have found online.

The place where we ordered our crib has the 4 piece set for 465.00

I think it is really adorable!!!

cchavez
12-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Angusmom: do you know if the bumpers have top and bottom ties? I thought the one I saw at the store did but I cannot remember.

Also what does your friend say about the sheets? Do they have elastic all around? OR has she purchased other better quality sheets from another source. I noticed that BRU has ecru sheets that might work. Lands End also has Gold tone sheets that might work too. Thanks.

angusmom
12-03-2002, 02:31 PM
Hello!

Glenna Jean bumpers have top ties only. No bottom ties, which is pretty standard for any company following JPMA's current legal position on bumper ties. The concern with bottom ties is that if a baby were to get under the bumper, he might not be able to get out again if the bottom is tied down securely. Plus it puts strings closer and in easier reach of the baby. Six of one, half dozen of the other on that issue. I can't say who is right or wrong on the whole top/bottom ties thing. It's a personal preference.

The sheet is a plain 100% cotton muslin sheet, and the elastic goes all around all four sides, according to the lady who answered the phone at Glenna Jean when I called just now (800-446-6018). This seems to be a standard Glenna Jean sheet for a lot of their patterns, so the fact that the rest of the Serengetti set is so expensive I don't think translates to an upgraded sheet with a higher thread count or anything.

I'm sure you will want to get extra sheets, and I would maybe try some other brands rather than getting extras of the Glenna Jean one - not because it is a bad sheet, but because others are just as good for a lot less money. If you end up liking the Glenna Jean one, here's a tip: since that muslin sheet is a standard Glenna Jean sheet, find out which Glenna patterns use it and order the individual sheets under a different pattern name whichever pattern offers them the cheapest. Glenna seems to vary the price of the sheet based on pattern, even though it's the same sheet!

Enjoy!

ct
12-03-2002, 04:02 PM
What a cute pattern! I have a Glenna Jean crib set (I don't remember the pattern name - bought it 2.5 years ago). I really don't like the sheets that came with it (ecru also, but I have no idea if they are the same as this set). The sheets are REALLY thin material, and one of the sheets (I have 2) has the elastic coming out of it after a couple years of use. I also think they shrunk quite a bit, they still fit the mattress but are more of a struggle to put on. I no longer use them - I much prefer the Carter's sheets I bought. HTH

ct
SAHM to Lilli (9/20/00) & Alec (10/21/02)

cchavez
12-03-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the information on the bumper and the sheets! I had no idea that the JPMA only recommended top ties. In the Field's book it recommends that you use top and bottom ties. There are so many varying opinion on bumpers. Well, it looks like I am pretty much sold on this set. I should be ordering it soon. Thanks!

Oh by the way, I will probaby get some Carter's Ecru knit sheets from BRU for this set. Thanks.

cchavez
12-03-2002, 09:20 PM
Angusmom: I looked for the infomation about the ties on the JPMA website but could not find that info. Can you direct me to that information? Thanks.

angusmom
12-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Hello!

I don't think JPMA has any official statement posted to their web site. It's just something a local store employee told me once when I was shopping because I commented on almost all the bumpers in the store not being tied down on the bottom. When all this baby stuff was new to me, I never would have thought bumpers didn't tie at the bottom. So she explained that most of the manufacturers look to JPMA for a legal position, and JPMA said their concern is that when a bumper is tied on the bottom if a baby were to get under it they wouldn't be able to easily get out again. Plus it puts more ties that could be loose or get untied within reach of the baby.

So that information is pretty much "hearsay" and second or third hand. I've never seen it printed in any official JPMA documentation. And there are manufacturers that make bumpers that tie on the bottom - so there must not be any official JPMA, CPSC, or ASTM rule or requirement.

That's why I say a lot of it is personal preference. What do you feel most comfortable with for your baby? Whatever you decide, I just read in the latest Baby Bargains newsletter that there is a guideline on the bumper ties - make sure they are no longer than 7-9".

:)

SASM
12-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Christine,

This bedding is so beautiful!! And you are so lucky that your husband agrees :-) Although, how could he not...

Good luck with the price search!

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

elizab27
12-20-2002, 08:12 PM
Christine -
If you're doing the "jungle theme" (which I'm still trying to convince my husband to do) check out www.wallsofthewild.com decor stickers - the little leopard and tiger cubs would look great with this bedding (they also have bigger animals if you're bold enough)

Enjoy!

http://www.wallsofthewild.com/aindex.htm

cchavez
12-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the link!!!