PDA

View Full Version : Softest Crib Sheets EVER!

akc
12-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Hi all -

In my ongoing search for something soft for my baby to sleep on (she has a tiny patch of excema on her cheek, so hard sheets just irritate her), I found the most amazing, soft sheets ever!

They are fleece (a light fleece) that are amazingly soft, wash well (don't pill like my fleeces that I wear), and make the coziest bed w/out SIDS worries. They come in 6 colors - white, pink, yellow, blue, mint & lavender (the last two are not listed on the website, but you can call and they can sell them to you). I will tell you are they are expensive as sheets go - $35, but I really need something that won't irritate my daughters face or be cold and stiff, so the sleep comfort is worth it (I hope people on these boards won't slam me for being more expensive - these are not as ridiculous as some of those $75+ sheets!). If you're really into luxury, you can also have the monogrammed or embroidered for extra - no way I'm going to do that b/c this is our first baby and I am absolutely repurposing for #2 or more. Anyway, they make flannel seem like sandpaper once you feel them!

Incidentally, she also sells sleeper bags (which our daughter also sleeps in - no blankets, can wear her usual or light sleepers underneath) and has blankets. I spoke with the designer, Jennifer, (she's just on her own in Atlanta) and found her to be incredibly pleasant and helpful. I'm not related to her at all, just a happy customer!

Just thought I'd pass this on -

Alexa (and Maeve)

etwahl
12-19-2002, 12:43 PM
These sound really wonderful, and the colors would match my wendy bellissimo bedding perfectly it sounds like! I have been a sufferer of eczema and am worried our baby will also, but aside from that, always like the idea of wonderfully soft (of course safe) bedding.

But you didn't include her Web site! I'd like to get on there and look at them, hopefully placing an order. Thanks for the information!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

akc
12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Hi - You're right! Sorry about that - it's www.fleecebaby.com - I can't tell you how soft they are!

akc

etwahl
12-19-2002, 02:35 PM
They look great. I'll probably order one to see how I like it. I also like those sleep sacks. I've been looking at the halo ones as well. Thanks for the tip.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

akc
12-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi there -

Just wanted to update y'all - My daughter has now been sleeping on the sheets for a week or so AND...drumroll, please...her ezcema patch is gone! The big difference is that fleece is designed to "wick" away the moisture (just like what it does for athletes), so she's not sleeping in a wet puddle (as she drools while cutting her teeth). So, her little cheek is not irritated and is as rosy as could be.

They also wash well (don't get pilly like some kinds of fleece do) and are a nice thick material. For those who are safety conscious, they do not have elastic around the sheets, but more like an box stich pocket that slides around the ends of the mattress. Once washed, they fit snugly and I pulled the corners and couldn't get the sheet to come up. It's tight and plush and comfy. They really are so amazingly soft - I told the designer I just wish that I had an adult sized one!

I'm hooked (and so is Maeve!)

Alexa

Rachel 3
01-05-2003, 10:46 AM
I just ordered a sheet from fleecebaby! Can't wait to try it!

Rachel (used to be Rachels)
Mom to Abigail Rose
5-18-02

kathsmom
01-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Alexa,

These sound wonderful! How thick is your mattress? We have a 6 inch thick mattress and had trouble with the Carters sheets fitting it. We currently have the Lands' End barnyard print knit sheets and these fit great over our mattress. Maybe DS will sleep in his crib if we got some softer sheets, and these sound perfect! I just need to make sure that they will fit over our mattress.

TIA!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

ddmarshd
01-05-2003, 11:25 PM
These look great but the sleep sacks have sleeves, I wish they made them without :(.

Debbie

MartiesMom2B
01-06-2003, 09:21 PM
I got a catologue today that featured the Halo sleep sacks. What is the advantage of not having sleeves on the sack versus sleeveless. Also is this good for newborns?

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

akc
01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi there -

First, I'm sorry for the delay - I was locked out of logging in until they fixed it today.

First - did you want the Halo type with no arms - they do sell that at One Step Ahead.

We actually want one without sleeves but not the Halo - our daughter likes her arms IN THE SACK!!! We feel so strange that we still put our daughter's arms inside. I've actually sewn the two arms behind her - they go down the sides & I sewed them in two places (the cuffs and then up higher or it gets sort of blousy up by her ears). I just used regular needle and thread and little tiny stiches that I can snip later is she wants to have her arms out. But, she loves to be snug and inside - and the side benefit is that she can't pluck her pacifier out and she doesn't have the opportunity to hit/scratch her face. She's teething and in a lot of pain - cut one on New Years Day and the other is about to come through, so with her hands out, she just goes for her mouth all the time.

We used the soothing reflex and swaddle sleeping technique with the Happiest Baby on the Block when she was younger - and then weaned her from swaddle to a little sleep bag. Her arms are free inside and she moves them all around, but they're not out and free which helps her sleep. One without arms is exactly what we needed as well. She is a fabulous sleeper - 12 hours a night from 7 to 7 and then 2-3 naps a day. People always give us strange looks when her arms are in the sacks and we protest that she is really happy. As soon as we lie her down and zip her up, she snuggles in and smiles.

Anyway, I searched all over the internet and did not find one that had no arms. Maybe I'll get motivated and make one. If you do find one like that, pls let me know!

----
On the bigger mattress - we have the Colgate Classica (which is standard 5 inches, I believe) and then a mattress pad (not thick, but something) and the sheet is fine. I do think you might be able to fit it on a 6 inch mattress b/c it is a big section that slides over the two ends and it would make it deep enough that it would stay snug. The sides are just straight seams, so you could tuck it underneath the mattress on the sides. Is you baby a big roller? That would be one issue. The other I could see is that the box seam would not be deep enough. The designer is so nice, you might call her and see if you ordered one and then it didn't work (you'd have to try it before you washed it to see if it fit), you could always return it.
----

All in all, my daughter is so much happier in the little sack and on the cozy sheet. She is just getting started on moving on her stomach - "scooches" we call it... tries to pull with her arms and slide on her tummy. She works on it in her crib b/c it is so soft compared to carpets or blankets. Just loves to be in her crib (which is often nice for me!)

Well, that's all for now. Hope that helps...

Alexa

ddmarsh
01-06-2003, 10:26 PM
The reason that the Halo sacks are made without arms is the same reason for no blankets - apparantly the threat of rebreathing carbon dioxide from the material that makes up the sleeve is similar to that of a blanket.

It does look a bit odd and I just *know* my MIL will give me looks when she sees it :O, but following the recommendations with the changes in sleeping (i.e. back, no blanket, etc.) has lead to an incredible reduction in SIDS in this country.

HTH -

Debbie

akc
01-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Hi -

Yes, that's exactly the purpose of the Halo sack. I have several friends who use them and love them (and rest easier with them). I also have one friend whose baby so rejected the idea of a sack altogether that he would flip and flop like a fish to be free altogether - they caught it on video - it was pretty funny!

Anyway, the way we are using the sleeper sack (with the little sleeves sewn behind her) also prevents her from any type of fabric impeding her breathing, so we feel just as comfortable with this option and she stays warmer and snug. Next year, we can snip the arms to have them free since she can sleep in them next year when she's almost 2 years old.

Our pediatrician thought this was a great option, especially since we had stayed with his recommendation of swaddling her for longer than the first 2 weeks home. We also talked with him about SIDS and he pointed out that almost any kind of fabric would fall under the same reasoning above - that they would rebreath into the material and inhale a higher level of carbon dioxide and, he said, we don't worry about sleepers (and, he pointed out, some sleepers are made with very heavy fabrics). He was actually pretty funny - also pointed out all the crazy stuff out there on lots of baby pj's and sleepers that could potentially lead to dangerous things if you went crazy thinking about it. More of issue to him was if the baby was rolling and wanting to sleep on his/her stomach (which she wasn't - she has and still is not interested in rolling! :) ) Then, the baby's ability to reflexively move their arms off their face or turn their head is greatly impeded b/c they don't yet have that level of neck and arm strength. After we had this discussion, he greenlighted us to have her sleep in whatever we/she wanted as long as she was on her back!

On all of this, I recommend people make decisions they are comfortable with and talk with their pediatrician if they want more information.

Best -
Alexa

Rachels
01-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Just got mine today. WOW. This sheet is incredible! I want one for me!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

akc
01-09-2003, 08:23 PM
I know!!! Isn't it amazing - I'm wishing I had more than two. It is really great about keeping any moisture away from the baby's face. That really helps Maeve's sensitive skin. Because they are so soft, I let her practice crawling ("scooching," we call it) in her crib and she likes to be on her tummy in her crib as well. So, that means those sheets see a lot of action! And, I'm happy to report that ours have been washed several times and they are still as soft! Make sure you don't stick anything in with velcro on it though - doesn't hurt the sheet but the bib (my culprit) was stuck right to it!

I'm sure Abigail will enjoy! :)

Alexa

etwahl
01-09-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm really excited to order mine now! I'm glad to hear they are so great.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!