PDA

View Full Version : Painted "clouds/sky" on ceiling

mama2be
12-20-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm sure a trip to MIcheals crafts would anser this question for me...but it's not too close to my home...

Do any of you know if there is an instruction on how to paint clouds/sky on a ceiling of a nursery for the "common folk"...

We went on a Holiday home tour last week-end and in one nursery the ceiling was dark blue (against lavender walls) and they had painted flourescent stars on the ceiling and had a flourescent lite to show them off...PRETTY!!!! and looked rather simple BUT I was thinking clouds so you see those during the day and then paint stars over them in flourescent so you see hose at night...

Any ideas...

sweetbasil
12-20-2002, 05:26 PM
Here's a neat website:
http://www.muralsplus.com/cgi-bin/discus4_00/discus.cgi
Go to search (on the left hand side of the screen, under Search and Tools) and type clouds- the top two hits look like they might be helpful. Good luck...sounds like it's gonna be beautiful!

mama2be
12-20-2002, 06:17 PM
Julie,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
Wow that site looks great, and so much info...

suzska
12-28-2002, 01:03 AM
That's basically what I wanted to do in Evan's room. Evan will be 2 in March, and still no clouds or stars. :-( Oh, well. He does have the blue ceiling and blue half way down the wall, and then dark green the rest of the way. Evan's too busy playing with all his cars, I don't think he notices! LOL!

sntm
12-28-2002, 08:27 AM
excellent website! I'm doing the night sky thing and wanted reflective stars but not glow-in-the-dark. was planning to make a search of craft stores and this site recommends the best brands and everything! thanks!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

mama2be
12-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Sue,

If you already have a dark ceiling you might want to try what this house did that I took a tour of...

I assumed they used a flourecent paint of sorts to make the stars but when I went to the local Home Depot the paint guy there assured me that the house probably just used "thick" white painted stars, thus the "flourescent lite" created the stars on the white.

This seems super easy (especially if your ceiling is already dark)...I priced the flourescent lights and they are cheap...

parkersmama
01-07-2003, 01:05 PM
We have a playroom that is painted light blue (sky blue) and I painted clouds on the ceiling. I just bought a natural sea sponge at Home Depot or Lowe's and white paint. Pour the paint into a shallow paint tray and dip the sponge into the paint. Make sure to blot off the excess paint on something (another paint tray?) so that you're doing a light application and then press the sponge over and over on the ceiling to create the clouds. I just sponged in a cloud-like shape until the size looked about right and then moved over and did another. They turned out really good and we get lots of compliments on them! I don't know about doing the stars over the top but the flourescent paint seems like it would work fine over the top of the white paint. Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003
Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 due 4/29/2003

suzska
01-08-2003, 01:18 AM
There is actually a glow-in-the-dark paint. It's an acrylic. Or at least the stuff I bought is. Problem is, Evan's room doesn't get enough sunlight for the stuff to "work" once it's dark in the room. I haven't really tried it. And I haven't tried it with any special lighting.

mama2be
01-08-2003, 09:33 AM
The room that I saw has a thin "black light or flourecent light" that just hugs the corner between the wall and the ceiling, not noticiable. I priced them all Walmart and they were about $18...

It looked super!!!