PDA

View Full Version : Decor over baby's crib...

etwahl
12-21-2002, 07:31 PM
I know it's not safe to hang something over the baby's crib, in case something happened and it fell in, baby pulled it down, etc. Is there anything that would be safe to put on the wall over the crib so it's not dangerous? We don't want to paint, because we will be moving next summer, but the wall just seems so plain and bare.

Any ideas?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

raynjen
12-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Tammy,
If you will be moving by the summer then I would say it would be perfectly safe to hang things on the wall. The main concern is that you take it down BEFORE the baby can pull itself to standing position at around 6 months. Since your baby won't be six months old until September I would think that you could hang almost anything there. You might put the comforter (i.e. something soft) directly over the crib with photos (i.e. hard edged items) on either side out of arm's reach. Just keep an eye on your little one and when he/she gets close to standing take down those items right over the crib.
Take care,
Jen
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

etwahl
12-21-2002, 11:24 PM
I was thinking that too, but DH thinks we shouldn't put anything that could possibly fall down, because we live in California and there are earthquakes (although they are small). He's just afraid that it could be a hazard.

I'll talk to him about it though. I usually give in on things that he feels very strongly about, since there aren't that many, especially when he recognizes a safety issue.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

SASM
12-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Tammy,

I have heard that there are decals that stick to the wall and can be taken off easily. My cousin had something like that for her baby - their theme was Baby Looney Tunes ~2.5 years ago. Pottery Barn Kids may have something as well - the alphabet - but I am not sure how easily they remove. Look around... :-)

HTH! Good luck! Let us know what you find :-) I am in the same boat.

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

camommy
12-22-2002, 12:44 AM
We had a boy and found decals that stick to the wall in a sports theme at Target. They stick on and peel off and then can be restuck again (we have moved so we were able to use them again) They are very cute. FOotballs, baseballs, soccer balls, stars, etc. In bold colors (primary colors) For girls they have flower themes. They also have cars, trucks ,and I think airplanes. They also have matching drawer knobs which we used to. We also hung baseball pennets on the top of the wall, like border.

Good luck,
Stacey
GOod luck,

Momof3Labs
12-22-2002, 01:33 AM
I would think that something soft, like a quilt would be fine (until you move). If there is a small earthquake, wouldn't you be running to check on baby anyways? So if it falls during an earthquake, it would only be there for a few seconds before you remove it. The decals also sound like a great idea!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

etwahl
12-22-2002, 01:54 AM
That's actually true, and not a bad idea. Any ideas on what to hang the quilt up with?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Momof3Labs
12-22-2002, 03:19 AM
I'd keep it soft - perhaps sew little plastic rings on the back of the quilt, and hang them on those one-piece picture hangers?

(Edited to add: those little cup hooks that screw in might work great - the quilt won't easily come off of those. Just use enough to hold the weight of the quilt.)

Colin's room is a puppy theme, and we found pawprint quilt clips at Wal-Mart, but they could theoretically come loose and fall into the crib during an earthquake - the plastic rings would be safer.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

raynjen
12-24-2002, 12:50 AM
Tammy,
I think either of those options would work (quilt on hooks or wall art). You can buy a pack of the plastic rings at any fabric store for less than $1.00. If you put them on the back and about 2" below the edge seam then nobody would even see them. Later on, if you wanted to use the comforter, you could clip them off. Also the cup hooks (at any hardware store for less than $1.00) would be more than adequate for support, even during an earthquake. If your husband is still concerned you can spend a little more for the specialty hooks which go through the drywall and into the studs behind (this would still be less than $5.00 at your hardware store.)

About the second option - wall art - wallies claim that they are easily removeable ( http://www.wallies.com/ ). Check out their website, I've seem them carried everywhere from a specialty decorator shop to Home Depot to Walmart (although the selection tends to be more limited in the latter two).

Hope this helps,
Jen
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

_gour0
01-03-2003, 09:51 AM
I hung my baby quilt on a clothesline with clothespins. I used wooden pegs and looped the ends of the line over them. I'm even thinking of hanging up a couple of his cutest outfits to make it look more 'authentic'. It looks really cute. Just a thought. :)

~Stacey
Mom to be 14mar03