PDA

View Full Version : Making curtains?

etwahl
12-22-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking of making curtains (well more like window toppers to go above the wooden blinds we already have). Even though we're moving this summer, I just think it will look much nicer, and hopefully not all that expensive. I was thinking of doing it in chenille to match our Wendy B bedding (although I will scour the fabric stores, and not go to her for fabrics!)

My question is this -- I'm not a sewer, at least I haven't done it since grade school. Is it fairly easy and doable with a good pattern? I was thinking of something fairly simple. Any suggestions for me?

Otherwise, is it a better idea to just find someone to make them? And if so, where in the phone book would I look to find someone who could do this?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

JMarie
12-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Making curtains is EXTREMELY simple - why do you think you see men sewing them on every other episode of "Trading Spaces?" - no offense meant towards men who actually sew! However, chenille is NOT an easy fabric to work with, but you can do it with a little practice. Just buy a little bit extra (a quarter or third of a yard), cut out your pattern, and then use the scraps to practice seams and pressing. You may want to surge/zig-zag the edges or at least using pinking shears, because chenille will unravel easily. Depending on the thickness of the chenille you choose and the type of rod you plan to use, you may also want to allow a little extra room for the fabric's texture. Just be patient and you'll have beautiful curtains. HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

LD92599
12-22-2002, 12:39 PM
I am a novice sewer and made curtains for several rooms...they are extremely easy to make and toppers are even easier (no pattern necessary). Personally, i hate making hems, so i ended up wasting more fabric and just folded the fabric over to make a "tube" of sorts, turning in both ends...if you want a small ruffle at the top, then you're going to sew a " casing" at the top...you're going to sew one line of straight stitching about an inch or two from the top and another line a few inches below that, to take into account the width of the curtain rod you are using...remember to use plenty of fabric though to give it a fuller look if that's what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Laura
Due: Feb 26th, 2003

raynjen
12-24-2002, 12:58 AM
Curtains are great to start with for a sewing project. For feminine frilly go with twice the width of the window. However, chenille doesn't lend itself to "gathering" very well (it just doesn't scrunch well). I did my daughter's room out of denim without a pattern at all. I basically made a flat panel of fabric that hung from a rod with tabs (really easy to do and you can add fake buttons for interest).

If you have a rod that you want exposed then a tab top might be the way to go, if not then use the casing as suggested. Either way if you need help you can email me through this site (no offense to anyone, but I don't leave my email address hanging out on message boards, that is why I LOVE the Field's message boards and the ability to "blind" message people.)

Take care,
Jen
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

suzska
12-28-2002, 12:47 AM
If you want to use chenille, you might want to think about making cornice boards rather than actual "curtains/toppers/valances." I haven't done it, but I know someone who has using kits that they sell at Joann Fabrics. It's basically a foam board that you wrap the fabric (which you buy separately) around and then staple it on the back. You could probably do something similar without buying the kit. I would imagine you then hang the board with some small "L" brackets. I couldn't find them online at Joann's site.

But try these articles at Better Home and Gardens for some cornice ideas (check out the "Sweet Baby Dreams" link! Picture #6 uses chenille bedding):

http://bhg.com/bhg/search/newContentSearch.jhtml;jsessionid=5N0D3WOLG521XQFI BQNSCZWAVABB4IV0?searchTab=story&type=stories&_requestid=72346