PDA

View Full Version : Mattress pads & waterproof protectors?

etwahl1
01-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Help! What do I need besides my mattress and sheet? I've read some of the posts in the past on this, but just don't know what I really should have.

We have a waterproof mattress, but do we not need a waterproof mattress pad also? What kind -- the kind with elastic all around or the zip around type? Any brands that are particular favorites or ones I should stay away from?

Also, I've heard about people using the waterproof pads, although I don't know exactly what they are. It sounds like they just lay down under the baby (or under the sheet?)

I was also all gung ho about the universal crib sheet that just goes on top, but now am hearing mixed reviews.

I am planning to order one of those soft fleece sheets from Fleece Baby, as they sound so soft and wonderful.

Any suggestions in this area would be greatly helpful.

Tammy,
EDD March '03

BethG
01-06-2003, 03:03 PM
I know not everyone likes it, but I love the Universal Crib Sheet. I find it incredibly helpful. It lays on top of your regular sheet, snaps to the crib side rails and is a waterproof barrier. I have two. Somedays I wish I had three! It is very useful when your baby is sick and goobering (in various ways) on the sheet.

I am short and find it really hard to reach into the crib to change the sheet. I guess if you are tall, it may not be such a big deal.

HTH,

CherylT
01-06-2003, 04:00 PM
You definitely need something to soak up whatever messes occur, whether it be a mattress pad, waterproof pad, etc. I use a regular waterproof mattress pad (I have 2 in case one gets soiled), a sheet over it, and then a 'sheet saver' on top where I place baby's head. I know some folks use 2 sheet savers, one for the head and one for the bottom. I often only need to change the sheet saver when doing wash so it saves me from having to wash sheets more than once every week or 2. I don't think I would get a zip around mattress pad as this would be a royal pain in the event that it gets soiled.

A waterproof pad has felt on one side and vinyl on the other (these are great for diaper changes, etc.) they are sold at BRU in various sizes. I do use waterproof pads, but not on the bed as I prefer the mattress pads. HTH - best of luck to you...

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

etwahl
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Are sheet savers washable? Where can you get them, and what "name" do they sell under?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Momof3Labs
01-06-2003, 09:23 PM
The sheet savers are washable and very soft. You can get them at BRU in the mattress pad aisle - I believe that they sell under the Nojo name.

I personally don't like the UCS because Colin doesn't like it. It is cold and rough, and he'd much rather be laying on his soft flannel sheets. I love the idea, however, and want to try to make some using fleece (instead of paying the high price for the fleece sheets)!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

egoldber
01-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Are we talking about the same product? My UCS has a VERY soft, comfy flannel surface. In fact, Sarah sleeps much better with it than the few times I have laid her directly on the sheet.

Mine looks like this: http://www.baby-name-now.com/baby/B00003XAKP/Ultimate_Crib_Sheet/

HTH,

etwahl
01-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Beth, I'm glad to hear that. Can you do me a favor and look at the UCS on Babies R Us site and tell me if they're the same ones you have? I was kind of bummed that I'd heard bad things about them until you posted.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Those are the ones I have and they are very soft. I'd like to sleep on them!

The only downsides I have read about are 1) they shrink a bit when first washed and 2) the snap configuration doesn't work well for cribs that have a solid "headboard" and "end". Ours did shrink a tad, but not enough to effect their use and my crib is open all the way around so it's not an issue.

etwahl
01-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh! We have a solid headboard and endboard (sleigh style). I wonder if that means it won't work on ours. Bummer if it doesn't!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Momof3Labs
01-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Beth, mine was purchased fairly recently so I wonder if they have changed the cover?? I tried the link but it didn't look right, but we got mine at BRU under the "Ultimate Crib Sheet" name. Hmmmm....

egoldber
01-07-2003, 09:44 AM
If I were you, I would buy one and try it. You can always order/buy another one later if you want another one.

Mine doesn't actually fasten to the end post, but some people need to based on their crib rail configuration vs the snaps on the sheet.

If they have changed the UCS to be hard vs soft, that would be about the worst marketing decision ever (well, maybe not as bad as New Coke...).

HTH,

ddmarsh
01-07-2003, 10:07 AM
Are these ok safety-wise and does anyone know if they work with the Safe and Sound bedding sets?

TIA

Debbie

Momof3Labs
01-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Mine does fasten to the end posts - which means, I think, that it is a more recent one. I agree that if they changed the cover, it was a really baaad idea!!

Momof3Labs
01-07-2003, 10:58 AM
They are okay safety-wise IF they have the straps on the ends (by the head and footboard of the crib). Otherwise the baby can scoot under them. Older versions of the UCS do not have these end straps.

I don't know how the Safe and Sound bedding set works, but the UCS has elastic straps that snap around the crib sides and ends, so as long as the straps can get to the crib bars, it would work.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

etwahl
01-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Just to clarify, do you these these wouldn't be safe with a solid foot and headboard, like what I have?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
01-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Hmm. What is an "end strap"? Mine just has snaps (I think 3? maybe 4?) on each long side of the UCS. And why are these unsafe without the end strap? I have not heard that.

Mine do have a strap at each of the 4 corners of the UCS, but I attach those to the last side rail of the crib, not the corner posts of the crib (if that makes sense).

I also think that a determined baby could get underneath anything that you put on a crib, INCLUDING a sheet.

megsmom
01-07-2003, 03:48 PM
I hadn't heard of the ultimate crib sheet until my dd was six months old so I figured I may as well use the system I had going. If you don't end up using the ultimate crib sheet (which I still may buy for my second) I found the best to be a mattress pad that lays flat and goes under the sheet. These are a snap to change and as long as you have a tight fitting sheet theres no prob with them moving around. The fitted mattress pads are more of a pain. I have one of those also, and don't like it as much. The sheet savers were nice before dd was mobile in the crib and did save many a sheet change. I didn't have too many spit-ups or leaks, but it always seemed to happen in the middle of the night and that's the last time you need to be dinking around in the sheets.

Jen
(glad to be able to post again!)
mom to Meghan 7/13/01